Help please

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Help please

Post by Rosiepink89 »

Hi I have an emergency I'm super new and fucked up major I fed them banana. why cuz I'm not that smart I guess and the tank got really cloudy afew hours later so I did a partial water change and it was looking better then my shrimp started acting erratic and flailing and laying on their sides and backs pretty sure they're dying
I have moved them to a container with fresh brackish water and just a little of the old tank water. Please don't say anything negating mean I feel awful about this in literally in tears
dglidden
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Help please

Post by dglidden »

Unfortunately you may be too late. The best you can do is a total water change with clean brackish water and hope for the best. Good news is that supershrimp, well, they are super tough, so there's still a chance as long as they're doing ok in the container with the clean water. If the worst happens, start over and don't feel bad, I think we've all made some horrible decisions in the past and you recognized that you messed up right away and tried to fix it!
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Rosiepink89 »

Thanks I ended up putting them in clean brackish at the advice of others elsewhere but it was too late and the shrimp all passed but thankfully the snails made it. I feel very bad these poor shrimp suffered but I'm trying not to beat myself up about it. I've started setting my tank back up again after a very thorough cleaning.
brantman19
Egg
Egg

Post by brantman19 »

I'm sorry that happened. Wash your substrate, plants, and other tank items in distilled water before you reuse it. Take like a quarter sized bit of substrate and your plants and wash those more gently so maybe you can hold onto some beneficial bacteria that you had before. Throw it all back in with brackish water and wait a few weeks for algae to rebuild before getting new shrimp. That should help wash a lot of toxins away. If you used soap on your enclosure glass, be extremely sure you get all that soap out. Rinse, wipe dry with paper towel, let air dry for rest, repeat a few times to be sure. Good luck on the restart.
Rosiepink89
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Rosiepink89 »

Everything got thoroughly washed and set back up snails are back in it felt weird not having the tank up for a few days after having had it there for a while.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

These shrimp don't need or want that much additional food at all. There is plenty food growing in the tank at all times. They need maybe a tiny flake of food every few months. Just keep things simple and follow the "when in doubt don't feed" advice and you'll do fine in the future.