New setup of 50L tank

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

obi1
Egg
Egg

New setup of 50L tank

Post by obi1 »

Hy,
I need some help for setup a new tank of 50L only for shrimp.
1. I need to put gravel fin (0.5-1 mm) with proprietes for plants?And up gravel of 2-4mm?
2. Wich plants i should use except Java moss wich will be on a wood of Mopan (i like to put something to make gazon). I have some in another tankMarsillea,Lileopsis (this one it's a litlle to big).I see some tanks with Glossostigma but i dont now if it's good for shrimps?

Thanks,
Ovidiu
Maxxx
Egg
Egg

Re: New setup of 50L tank

Post by Maxxx »

obi1 wrote:Hy,
I need some help for setup a new tank of 50L only for shrimp.
1. I need to put gravel fin (0.5-1 mm) with proprietes for plants?And up gravel of 2-4mm?
2. Wich plants i should use except Java moss wich will be on a wood of Mopan (i like to put something to make gazon). I have some in another tankMarsillea,Lileopsis (this one it's a litlle to big).I see some tanks with Glossostigma but i dont now if it's good for shrimps?

Thanks,
Ovidiu

It is fun to have Glossostigma in shrimp tanks. You will find baby shrimps hiding under the leaves. However, you will need stronger light for Glossostigma, and shrimps might not display their best color under strong light(just my observation).

And something interesting to try:
You could grow Japanese moss ball(a Cladophora algae actually) on a flat piece of rock, and use that as part of your foreground. Shrimps love this algae, and it becomes a food resource for shrimps in your tank. However, there might be other Cladophora algae species mixed with the moss ball and those unwanted algae will become big headache if you don't get rid of it in time. So, watch out for this potential issue and move out the whole piece of rock/wood if you find your moss ball isn't growing in the right way.
One pic of my CRS and Japanese moss ball: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cpc1007/d ... pg&.src=ph
Cajunspice
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cajunspice »

what's the name of that shrimp in that picture?? i love it! is it a cross breed between a cherry red and bumble bee shrimp?
jwarper
Egg
Egg

Post by jwarper »

Cajunspice wrote:what's the name of that shrimp in that picture?? i love it! is it a cross breed between a cherry red and bumble bee shrimp?
Its called a crystal red shrimp. It is a hybrid of the bee shrimp. Basically a difference in the chemicals in its body gives it the red colored shell instead of the black/brown. They are VERY hard to find in the United States. They are mostly distributed in Asian countries and Germany. I hope to get some myself eventually.

@Maxxx: Very nice pictures! I looked at the rest of them, and you have a very beautiful planted tank! I can only wish to have one as nice as that when I get started on mine!
Maxxx
Egg
Egg

Post by Maxxx »

jwarper wrote: @Maxxx: Very nice pictures! I looked at the rest of them, and you have a very beautiful planted tank! I can only wish to have one as nice as that when I get started on mine!

Thanks, jwarper.
However, the pics usually look better than the real stuff...)

I am just trying to keep everything in my tank healthy... shrimps, plants and fish. Once the plants are in good shape, it's much easier to keep the shrimps healthy.

Max
cz
Egg
Egg

Post by cz »

Maxxx,

beautiful tank. great pics.