moldy food

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

wheezo
Larva
Larva

moldy food

Post by wheezo »

i have a question about moldy food.
it's supposedly not good right? i left a boiled zucchini in there and they barely touched it, then it started getting moldy and i noticed that a lot of them were all over it.

is it bad for the shrimps or just bad for the water?
Chaca
Egg
Egg

Post by Chaca »

Moldy food is not good for anyone -- larvae, adults or humans. But rotting vegetation promotes the development of little critters -- sometimes called "infusoria" -- relished by baby fish and shrimp. Maybe that's what you were seeing.
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

hmm i wasn't clear on that one i guess.
i meant that the shrimps were all over the moldy food.
when it was freshly placed in, they barely touched it.
Pi
Larva
Larva

Post by Pi »

No, I think he understood : )

He didn't mean you were seeing the little critters that rotting food produces, he meant the shrimp were eating them-- and that's why they were all over the old food.

Pi
fugly
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fugly »

wheezo wrote:hmm i wasn't clear on that one i guess.
i meant that the shrimps were all over the moldy food.
when it was freshly placed in, they barely touched it.
bear in mind that shrimp are scavengers. they eat algae, rotting plants (the cucumber), dead animals, etc. and it could very well be that they were eating the infusoria (as chaca pointed out) that grew after it began molding (they weren't the mold).

try spinach as an alternative to the cucumber. they love it.
Adrianna
Egg
Egg

Post by Adrianna »

fugly wrote:try spinach as an alternative to the cucumber. they love it.
Spinach rots in warm water really fast and turns the water into a spinachsoup :shock: *bad experiences over here*

I prefer spirulina for the shrimps babies (and adults too). If I put some cucumber in the tank for applesnails to eat, the shrimps patrol arould the snails and eat their leftovers :D
fugly
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fugly »

Adrianna wrote:
fugly wrote:try spinach as an alternative to the cucumber. they love it.
Spinach rots in warm water really fast and turns the water into a spinachsoup :shock: *bad experiences over here*

I prefer spirulina for the shrimps babies (and adults too). If I put some cucumber in the tank for applesnails to eat, the shrimps patrol arould the snails and eat their leftovers :D
i have enough shrimp in there that all the spinach gets consumed before it gets a chance to rot or become spinach soup.
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

i do feed them spinach and zucchini on occasions. those are the only 2 choices that i have tried. spinach doesn't seem to mold as fast as the zucchini.

how many shrimps is enough to finish off one leaf of spinach before it goes bad?
fugly
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fugly »

wheezo wrote:i do feed them spinach and zucchini on occasions. those are the only 2 choices that i have tried. spinach doesn't seem to mold as fast as the zucchini.

how many shrimps is enough to finish off one leaf of spinach before it goes bad?
i cut up the boiled spinach before putting it in the water, so that they each can get a piece and don't have to fight for it. i've never noticed any leftovers from a feeding of spinach. the shrimp continuously eat until it's gone....never a case of it going bad.