Pregnant Tiger !! :)

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Pregnant Tiger !! :)

Post by beckypyyeung »

Hey my Shrimp Friends, :D

A minute ago I saw the legs of my biggest Tiger moving like my pregnant Cherry did. I took a closer look and discovered eggs in there !!! Wow !! A beginner in shrimp can get baby shrimps !!!

I've removed it to a breeder tank which contains two small bees and two small black-shelled shrimp. I'm afraid my tetra will eat the babies if I don't move it to somewhere else.

Wow !! My favorite species will produce babies soon !! I'm really cursious to know how the baby tigers will look like !! Any stripes !? Wow !!

:smt041

Becky :smt041 :smt026 :smt041
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

I forgot to ask one question:

Are the eggs inside the Tiger fertilized ?
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

One more thing :

Does a mother shrimp deliver all the baby shrimps in one time or separately?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

If your Tiger Shrimp does not drop the eggs within a day or two, they are fertilized. The young will hatch within a couple of hours.

Good luck! :)

Mustafa
louieknucks
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by louieknucks »

I wish I had some tigers for my tank. :evil: In due time I hope to add them to my shrimp only tank. Just need to find somewhere to buy them from.
cro117
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by cro117 »

louieknucks wrote:I wish I had some tigers for my tank. :evil: In due time I hope to add them to my shrimp only tank. Just need to find somewhere to buy them from.
i share your pain
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Oh, but I can't see any eggs inside the Tiger, nor swimming mini Tiger in the water. Don't know if the eggs are hatching now.

By the way, next time should I move one male tiger and one pregnant tiger to my breeder tank in order to avoid the fish and ensure fertilization ? :smt017
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Becky,

It looks like your Tiger Shrimp dropped the eggs. This happens when they don't feel happy or when the shrimp are still very young (or a combination of both...I am still trying to figure that out).

Take care,
Mustafa
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Hi Mustafa,

It turns out that shrimp might drop their eggs if they're unhappy or too young. Their reproduction is not as simple as I thought. Well, I guess this tiger is an adult coz its body is very big. As I don't have a shrimp-only tank, will it be workable if I let her stay in the big tank longer for fertilization before I move it to the small breeder tank next time?

Thanks !

Becky
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

beckypyyeung wrote: As I don't have a shrimp-only tank, will it be workable if I let her stay in the big tank longer for fertilization before I move it to the small breeder tank next time?

Thanks !

Becky

Hi Becky,

I would move the female into a separate tank next time so the hatchlings don't get eaten by the fish. Just make sure that the other tank is cycled and it should probably have tons of plants in there just in case the cycling did not quite work as expected.

Mustafa
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Thanks for your advice Mustafa.

Well, I was so excited to see the eggs inside her body days ago, but :(
I enjoy viewing toddler shrimps. Good luck to me next time.
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

hey becky,

what color were the eggs?

do they change color over time?

anyone?
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Hi Wheezo,

The eggs were somewhere between dark gray and black. I didn't find any change of color.

Becky