tiger pregnant! a few questions.

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

wheezo
Larva
Larva

tiger pregnant! a few questions.

Post by wheezo »

my tigers finally got pregnant, i was wondering where they went, then I did some remodeling and found two with eggs. one is orange with stripes.. like a real tiger. the other is clear with stripes, like usual.

is it normal to see orangish tiger with stripes? do they get like that when they breed?

anyhoo... i have them with malayan shrimps that are slightly larger than them, will anything eat the baby tigers?

also, the eggs are a greenish grayish color, does that mean they'll hatch soon?

when they just get eggs it should be yellow right?

because i added a few bees into the tank the day before i found the tigers with eggs... don't think they mixed do you? btw, the bees died the next day and only one survived which i moved to my cherry breeding tank.

thanx.
Pconnieae
Egg
Egg

Re: tiger pregnant! a few questions.

Post by Pconnieae »

wheezo wrote:my tigers finally got pregnant, i was wondering where they went, then I did some remodeling and found two with eggs. one is orange with stripes.. like a real tiger. the other is clear with stripes, like usual.
Pregnant females often hide.
is it normal to see orangish tiger with stripes? do they get like that when they breed?
I don't know.
anyhoo... i have them with malayan shrimps that are slightly larger than them, will anything eat the baby tigers?
I don't think so.
also, the eggs are a greenish grayish color, does that mean they'll hatch soon?
The females will carry their eggs 3 or 4 weeks. Do you know how long they have been pregnant?
when they just get eggs it should be yellow right?
It depends on the species. Bee shrimps have greenish eggs at the beginning and then they become beige or grey. If you can look very close, you can see the babies' eyes when the eggs soon hatch.
because i added a few bees into the tank the day before i found the tigers with eggs... don't think they mixed do you? btw, the bees died the next day and only one survived which i moved to my cherry breeding tank.
Bee shrimps and tiger shrimps belong to the Caridina serrata species complex so crossbreeding is possible.
How did you acclimatize the bee shrimps to the new tank? I usually use a drip system when I introduce new shrimps into my tanks.
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

i do not know how long they have been pregnant, but they have been hiding for awhile. i usually see 3 swimming around, and figured that's all i had.

i used drip method for the bees, but i guess the shipping had stressed them out. i have one survivor... one expensive bee right there =P

the bees were only added for about 1-1.5 days... im assuming they were stressed/ getting used to the environment... i don't think they'll try to breed right away right??
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

ok, she now has 1/3 as many eggs as she had yesterday. the eggs are dark, did she release them or did the eggs hatch? hmm...
fugly
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fugly »

wheezo wrote:ok, she now has 1/3 as many eggs as she had yesterday. the eggs are dark, did she release them or did the eggs hatch? hmm...
how long have you had the tigers? if you've only seen them pregnant for a very short time <3-4 weeks, more than likely the eggs were dropped.

i'd scrutinize your tank and see if you can find any babies around. look especially around mosses and/or riccia if it's in there.
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

i have both, moss and riccia in there but i haven't really seen anything, was looking all day. how small are they? i had these shrimps for a few months already. this was the first time, i saw them with eggs but then again, these were hiding most of the time. now that i took out the fishes, they come out more often.
fugly
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fugly »

hatchlings are 2-3mm in length. it's hard to say whether there was a hatch of any kind. i personally believe that the hatch may not have happened (due to the black eggs). eggs should become lighter in color as they age until they hatch. further, you should be able to distinguish the eyes of to-be hatchlings before any kind of release from the mother.
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

so the eggs start off yellow and gets lighter as they progress?
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

the eggs weren't black, they were darkish brown.
what does that mean?
fugly
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fugly »

honestly, i can't i say i know what the brown eggs mean. i haven't seen it before on tigers.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Tiger shrimp normally have brownish eggs as you can see here:

http://www.petshrimp.com/tigershrimp.html

And no...eggs don't hatch after a day or two...it takes 3-4 weeks, so your tigers just dropped some of the eggs.
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

oh im not sure when it laid eggs. the shrimp dissappeared from my tank a few weeks ago, and i considered them dead. then i decided to take out my fishes and cut some plants. that's when i found them with eggs.
fugly
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fugly »

the eggs that i've seen on my tiger were a little more orange. mine tend to hide a lot as well, so i don't know exactly when the eggs got fertilized. the eggs are now gone, and i don't see any baby shrimp. i think mine may have lost the eggs. :(
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

well one of my pregnant tigers died, the other one is still carrying a few eggs but dropped most of them.
wheezo
Larva
Larva

Post by wheezo »

now the other shrimp died... =(
i shouldn't have moved the fishes. .. *sigh*