Picture of ovigerous Hawaiian Red Shrimp (Opae ula)!!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Picture of ovigerous Hawaiian Red Shrimp (Opae ula)!!

Post by Mustafa »

Thought I'd share this pic with everyone (especially you clorophyll since you asked for a pic if I remember correctly :D).

http://www.petshrimp.com/hawaiianredshrimp.html

(second picture if it's not obvious already... :-D)

It was a pain in the behind to take this pic since she is practically hiding all the time and only presenting herself briefly...and who has a camera handy at those brief moments? Well...this time I did. :)

Mustafa
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

She is gorgeous!!
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Woo, look at those eggs, can't believe how large they are! :shock: Congrats Mustafa for finally snagging a pic and updating your ever helpful shrimp varieties page. Please keep us updated on her progress.

I often notice on ovigerous shrimp that there will be an egg or two that looks to be barely attached. Is there some adhesive material on the egg or is there a velcro-like function on the pleopods?

-GunmetalBlue
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

Very cool! :smt023
Pi
Larva
Larva

Post by Pi »

What a beautiful color she and the eggs have!
GunmetalBlue wrote: I often notice on ovigerous shrimp that there will be an egg or two that looks to be barely attached. Is there some adhesive material on the egg or is there a velcro-like function on the pleopods?
I've noticed the same thing. It always looks like the poor egg is being beaten up when she areates the rest of them...

Pi
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Actually it was an earlier poster who asked for pics of the female. I asked about pics of the setup (not necessary). I'll probably post some pics of my setup soon though.

Never the less, great pic. And I'm glad to know you've found another berried female so soon after the others' aborted eggs. More to come, I'd bet. And I hope they hatch!
When I saw the berried female at the aquarium, I tried to get pictures. Unfortunately I'm terrible at getting these macro pics to come out.

I'm optimistic I'm close to seeing a berried female in my tank. But who knows. There is at least one that I think is close to it and was going to get a pic of her to get an opinion over here. Think you know any visual indicators for when an individual of this species is about to ovulate? Oh, and about how long are your berried females... obviously larger than the others in the tank?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

chlorophyll wrote:Think you know any visual indicators for when an individual of this species is about to ovulate? Oh, and about how long are your berried females... obviously larger than the others in the tank?
This species has a brownish "saddle" indicating egg production in its ovaries, similar to the yellow "saddle" in the Red Cherry Shrimp. It's hard to say, though, when they will finally carry the eggs as I have had females with this saddle running around for a long time, who never laid eggs. I am assuming that if the conditions are not right, the eggs are either dropped immediately or never laid. As for the female's size...they are the same size as the other females actually...about a centimeter...maybe a little more.

I discovered another berried female today by the way. :)

Mustafa
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Congrats Mustafa ! Keep us posted.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I will, Marge. :) Now all I can do is wait 30+ days for the relatively huge larvae to hatch.

Mustafa
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Another one, very nice. Spring is the season of growth and renewal (love and birth! :wink: ).
This species has a brownish "saddle" indicating egg production in its ovaries, similar to the yellow "saddle" in the Red Cherry Shrimp. It's hard to say, though, when they will finally carry the eggs as I have had females with this saddle running around for a long time, who never laid eggs.
Yes, that's what I noticed in our holding tank. Many with saddles but none ever producing eggs. In the new tank, some individuals appear to have increased a bit in size (now ~1.2 cm) and saddles appear more pronnounced. They are also a little more active feeders. I've been seeing if these will eventually ovulate.

I'm starting to think the air conditioned room is a problem and need to check on the water temperature more. It has only been a month since I added the shrimp and will probably give it another month before trying to fool around with the T.

Btw, here is my great attempt to photograph the berried female at the Waikiki Aquarium.
I think I'll go outside now, and take some blurry pictures of "UFO"s and bigfoot
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

It's a "Blobshrimp"!!! :-D :-D

TKD

PS Only those that know something about Bigfoot will get the joke. :-D