Moving question (literally)

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

bluebettalady
Egg
Egg

Moving question (literally)

Post by bluebettalady »

I have to move my shrimp into a bigger tank. The tank they are in is aging and starting to leak ((slowly)).
Any suggestions on an easy transition for them? I am going to re-use their water and I do have enough RO water on hand to re-fill (they are going from a 20 long to a 45 long). The tank itself has well cycled sand\pea gravel in it. I have had it up about 1/4 full of water for about 8 months just haven't used it at all. Did a water tests on the leaky tank and the destination tank and they are both Ammonia 0, Nitrates ), Nitrites 0, Ph of 7.2 and temps are roughly the same (76 degrees)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Looks like your new tank is looking good. However, without having anything alive in the new tank no ammonia can build up, so of course your Ammonia readings showed zero. Just keep watching the ammonia in the new tank despite the fact that you have cycled gravel in it.

Other than that...just move the shrimp over...i.e. catch them and throw them into the new tank. :-D :)
Solaris
Larva
Larva

Post by Solaris »

I have a brine shrimp net i just place the net in the tank cornering them and they come crawling to it i dont know they like it or something. Made it a whole lot easier moving those little shrimp with no harm.
bluebettalady
Egg
Egg

Post by bluebettalady »

I guess I forgot to mention when I said the tank was well cycled it did have a host of fish in it and has been reading zero across the board for 3 years *sorry*
But anywho here...They made the move...I ended up using a breeder basket that like hangs in the corner only I laid it down on it's side and put food in it. Then took and placed that in a clean plastic container big enough to move them correctly...Caught 30 the first trip and another 18 the second trip. I didn't even know I had that many in there (scratching head here~too many plants? Couldn't see them all?)
But they have been moved 4 days now and I think they are loving life. I did learn something in the move though...I accidentally crushed a snail in the move and they ate it..wow..cool I guess. Not something I will do on purpase cause I think my cories would kill me (hehehe)
But anyhow, all STILL tests zero across the board and although I can't see that I visually see them unless it''s feeding time I know they are there and when I DO see them they are healthy and active. There is roughly 80 plants in the tank so I am not too shocked I am not seeing them. And they now have 5 little cubby coves to hide in and lots of new algae to eat.
Worst problem is I have 5 females with them yellow patches on them right now...I am think I am in biiggg trouble (hehehe)

And ah yes...NO there is no fish on in the tank, just a host of RCS, 4 trumpet snails and the jungle of plants. And I did learn something..I have this plant...I think it calls frogbit...it grows floating on the top of the water and has long hairy root things....they LOVE it...They love to roost in it :-)