caves

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

pipefish
Egg
Egg

caves

Post by pipefish »

hey everyone,
i was wondering if caves under driftwood and stuff was important for shrimp cause i noticed my amanos area always under it but none of my cherrys were, is this cuase they kicked the cherrys out of the spots? or do cherry shrimp just dont need any hiding spots.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

I believe just about all shrimp would prefer to have available hiding places. Neither of those two species in your tank necessarily need caves though. I wouldn't be surprised if the japonicas are a big reason why the cherries don't hang around down there though. They're MUCH stronger and more aggressive.

In your other post about ghost shrimp larvae, I would wonder about the amanos too. I have no proof they'd be a threat, but since I keep them with my filter feeding shrimp I have seen them actively swimming around snatching planktonic food particles (both dry foods and live artemia) out of the swirling water column. I wouldn't be surprised if they have the ability to snatch or harm a larva... though I don't believe they would actually 'hunt' them.
pipefish
Egg
Egg

Post by pipefish »

ok thanks a lot for the reply, i'll have to look into this :) but the problem is i only have one shrimp tank and its either the shrimp tank or the angel tank... and i'm sure the angels would love hunting some amanos down. Anyways, thanks for the reply :)
Acsuth
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Acsuth »

pipefish wrote:ok thanks a lot for the reply, i'll have to look into this :) but the problem is i only have one shrimp tank and its either the shrimp tank or the angel tank... and i'm sure the angels would love hunting some amanos down. Anyways, thanks for the reply :)
heck yeah -- all your shrimpies would be gone within milliseconds if you tossed 'em in the angeltank(expensive fish snacks)! :lol: