A shrimp has lasted more then 24 hours!!!!!!!!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

A shrimp has lasted more then 24 hours!!!!!!!!

Post by TKD »

Hi everyone!

I finally got a shrimp that has lasted more then 24 hours!!!!!!!!

I removed the rocks over a month and a half ago.
After waiting a couple of weeks (and several water changes later) I bought a beta.

Great! no problems with him for the past month... :!:

Last week I bought an otto...
Great! he did not die and is eating all the algae it can fined. :!:

So on Sunday I got my water officially tested for iron and found that it was within the safe limit!
So I took the plunge and bought a Wood shrimp! And as the title suggests it has indeed lived (so far) for over 24 hours. :smt041

It is about 3 cm long or so and has the same coloration as the shrimp in the last two pictures from here...
http://www.petshrimp.com/bambooshrimp.html

So now all I need to do is move the betta and I'm ready to go for more shrimp!!

Oh right! He wood is not fanning so much as using it's fans to pick bits of food from the surface of the java fern, java moss and the side of the tank. They all have a heavy coat of algae and other stuff. Will it enough food this way? More then half the time it is hidden in the plants and I can't see it so I drought that getting special food only for it would help.... Any ideas?

TKD

PS for those that don't know about my shrimp/aquarium woes please look at the following threads...
viewtopic.php?t=852&highlight=
viewtopic.php?t=737&highlight=
viewtopic.php?t=719&highlight=
viewtopic.php?t=693&highlight=
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Woo, congrats! I'm almost afraid to say anything, like walking on eggshells, lol!

3cm, so he/she's a young little thing, must be awfully cute. What kind (species) of additional shrimp do you plan to get?

Your Bamboo must be loving life right now, as I'm sure there are all kinds of goodies it's picking up. He/she may spend more time doing that for now, as it's probably the most functional way to eat what's currently available in the tank - and all that food must be quite welcome.

May I ask the size of the tank? Does it have a decent current? Do you have a sponge over the intake? The reason I ask that is because when you start stirring crushed food in there, it'll help prevent it all going up into the filter right away. And the debris that lands on the sponge can be picked up by him/her or other shrimp.

It's completely normal for him/her to spend some time hiding, in fact, I often hear about how shy filter shrimp are, though mine seem to be an exception; mine are not shy at all. I think after a while, he/she'll perhaps have a routine, and have times of the day/night they like to come out and filter. Mine love current!

Hope things will turn out well... I'm happy for ya! :)

-GB
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Hi GB,

Thanks for the encouragement... I probably would have forgotten the whole shrimp thing if it was not for you guys.

What kind (species) of additional shrimp do you plan to get?

Most likely I will be getting cherries and green shrimp... maybe even another wood.
If I can find other peaceful shrimp and a good price I will probably get them too.

May I ask the size of the tank? Do you have a sponge over the intake?

The shrimp will be going in the 15 gl that I have in my signature.
With the Black neons, Neons, Otto and the wood shrimp.

Does it have a decent current?

It has a good current as I have an Aquaclear 200 going lengthwise on the tank.

Do you have a sponge over the intake?

Yup.

I have not seen it today but I was feeding a lot last night.
As to it's size, it was the smallest one there but it was the only one that I have seen consistently filter every time that I was at the LSF.
The other 2 were over twice it's size.

TKD
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

This is great news, TKD

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but have you ever tried Amano shrimp? I know they're not the most attractive and gentle ones (though they're not threatening either), but I swear they must be the hardiest algae eating shrimp around.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Hi chlorophyll,

have you ever tried Amano shrimp?

No, I haven't but now that the tank is a OK it won't matter what shrimp or animals that I put in.

I have also heard that Amano's can be jerks with other shrimp.

I want something to breed to make things interesting so that is were the cherries and the greens come in.

I may get some Japanese trap door snails too, not sure yet though.

Oh and I just saw that the wood was eating, almost 48 hours and counting...

TKD