Caridina cf. babaulti - Blue ?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

patter
Larva
Larva

Caridina cf. babaulti - Blue ?

Post by patter »

Hello all,
today I found some blue shrimps in one petshop here. The man in the shop told me that they are "Cardina sf. babaulti", but he was not sure (this ID he got from the supplier). In this site I found information for green shrimp. I guess that the blue one is just a variant.

These shrimps looks like Red Cherries, but they are blue.

Is corss breeding betwen these shripms (Cherryes and Babailti) possible ? I'll buy some blue shrimps, but the big question is if they need different tank or I can keep them with Cherries without problems.
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Caridina cf. babaulti - Blue ?

Post by Bradimus »

patter wrote:Hello all,
today I found some blue shrimps in one petshop here. The man in the shop told me that they are "Cardina sf. babaulti", but he was not sure (this ID he got from the supplier). In this site I found information for green shrimp. I guess that the blue one is just a variant.
How blue is blue? The natural form of Cherries is, for some unknown reason, sometimes called blue.

Maybe a picture?
Is corss breeding betwen these shripms (Cherryes and Babailti) possible ?
Highly doubtful.
patter
Larva
Larva

Post by patter »

For now I don't have a pic (the shrimps arrived in the shop today).

They looks like this one (from first view)
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

To me that appears to be a recently molted 'rainbow'. They often take on a blue tint briefly after molting.
patter
Larva
Larva

Post by patter »

Now I'm able to compare this blue shrimp with cherries - they looks in same wea, just the new shrimps are blue. Difference between my shripms and the shrim on the photo is that my shripms don't have darker areas on the top.
felix
Egg
Egg

Re: Caridina cf. babaulti - Blue ?

Post by felix »

it is probably a Neocaridina sp.
sweetwater
and they can be put together with red cherries
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The shrimp on the picture is definitely not a Neocaridina sp. It looks like the "Malayan Shrimp" that I have here in one of my tanks (I have not put them up on the shrimp varieties page yet). They are pretty variable in coloration. It's a very interesting shrimp because it has pretty small eggs out of which free floating larvae hatch, but the larvae survive and develop into post-larvae (=mini-shrimp) in complete freshwater.
patter
Larva
Larva

Post by patter »

I'll try to make a pictures of these shrimps.