PREGNANT AMANO!!!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Shanna
Larva
Larva

PREGNANT AMANO!!!

Post by Shanna »

I went to the pet store today. I bought a new Bamboo Bhrimp, 4 Amanos, and some fish; I didn't buy their Red Cherrys though, because I'd rather buy young ones from Mustafa.
On my way out I was looking at the "feeder" Ghost Shrimp. I saw that some of the females were pregnant, so I bought them too!!
I was all jazzed on my way home and took the shrimp out of the bag so I could look at them. I checked them out, made sure they were ok, then put them back in the bag. I then checked on my Bamboo and he was ok too. Last I looked in on the Amanos and noticed right away that one of them is pregnant too!!! (What luck!!).
The ghost shrimp has eggs that are just like Red Cherry eggs, but the Amano's eggs are very different. They are much smaller and there are SO many of them!

Judgeing by the difference in eggs, I would guess that the Ghost shrimp will hatch little baby shrimp (as opposed to the Amano's larvae), so I should do fine with those. But the Amano's scare me.... I REALLY want the babies to survive.

So now what?? A while back ago I read an article about breeding Amanos, but still I need some help. How will I know when the eggs are ready to hatch? Do I put the larvae in brackish water or full strength salt water? What do I feed the larvae? If anybody can give me a little advice, I'd appreciate it.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Hey, congratulations on your new arrivals.
I'm just starting on my first batch of these, so can't give you anything definite. I'm going to try to feed them live algae culture, enriched egg custard (EEC), I have some Azoo artificial rotifera, and want to try to get them live rotifers if I can get my culture running right soon. The larvae are in the phase where they are supposedly not eating (first 3 days or so). They're kind of neat... they do actually cling to the side of the beaker I have them in. Some of them anyway. I'm not sure if they're actually foraging (as the Mike's Maching article suggests) or if they're just holding on for dear life. If they do forage on surfaces, that would be very helpful of them, but I don't know.

This seems to be the best article out, so reread if you already have :D
http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm

Seems no regular posters here have actually done it with full success. But I could be mistaken. This was the last thread on the subject:
viewtopic.php?t=698

Maybe there's been some more useful stuff earlier. Try a search
search.php
For the keyword search, click on the "Search for all terms" dot then type "amano eggs" or something and you'll find some relevant threads.
Shanna
Larva
Larva

Post by Shanna »

There is someone here that has been successful with Amanos, but I don't remember what his/her name is.

Do you have your larvae in brackish water or in full strength salt water?

I know now that her eggs are DEFINATELY fertile, because it's been several days and she hasn't dropped them. I am so excited!! I"ve had Amano's for years and they never bred. I think they were all females.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

I hope you can be successful.
I'm worried mine will fail but they are fine for now.

I have half of mine in 32 ppt, and half in 25 or so. That seond half of the hatch, I'd intended to take them to 32 too. But I thought I'd experiment and leave them there for awhile. I should have kept them at 17 ppt to test if I have the supposed brackish population vs the seawater population. Not gonna try to lower it now though. We'll see.
Shanna
Larva
Larva

Post by Shanna »

How old are your larvae??

I don't have any live food small enough for them to eat, and there's really no time to order some and then grow it. So I was thinking I could feed them some of that special liquid food that's made for marine invertabrates. Do you think that will work?
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

I'm still in the easy stage. They hatched out between last Monday and Wednesday, so they're about 5-6 days old. Supposedly they'll live that long in freshwater.

I haven't been able to tell for sure if they've been eating the microalgae, egg custard, or artificial rotifera that I've been adding. I would feel a lot better if I cold have added the live rotifers I'm int he process of starting up.

I think the liquid food has a chance of working as well as anything I'm doing right now. But I don't know for sure. I recommend making sure there's some animal component in the food though, because I don't know if these larvae can live on or if they even eat algae.

I'm not saying you need to, but if you wanted to try to rush a culture up, you can try the marine algae and rotifers from this site
http://www.lfscultures.com/cultures.html

I haven't tried their algae or rotifers, but have received copepods from them before.
Shanna
Larva
Larva

Post by Shanna »

What are rotifiers???
Shrimpmania
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Shrimpmania »

I hope you can be successful.
I'm worried mine will fail but they are fine for now.

Not sure
Shanna
Larva
Larva

Post by Shanna »

Mine failed. I don't know what happened. She carried the eggs for so long, then one day they were just gone..... and no babies. I have both males and females though, so hopefully I'll get the chance to try again.