Shrimp outdoors

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Shrimp outdoors

Post by edinjapan »

I just did a trapping from 1 of my big blue tubs and am counting and sorting the shrimp out for sex and size. I'm keeping all the berried females but, I'm selling/trading all the rest to the LFS. So far I have 500 Minami Numa Shrimp to take to the shop. Not bad for putting a few shrimp outside in a heavily planted tub and feeding them once a week with some pellets.

Next weekend I'll do the CRS tub...
IndianaSam
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by IndianaSam »

What size tub did you use? How long did you leave them outside? All summer?

This could be an interesting project for me to do next year.
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

IndianaSam wrote:What size tub did you use? How long did you leave them outside? All summer?

This could be an interesting project for me to do next year.
The tubs are 1m cubes and heavily planted with potted lilies, cabomba, hornwort, amazon swords and numerous other plants.
Kenshin
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Kenshin »

Hey edinjapan,

I thought the summer season in Japan is quiet hot (especially after the monsoon season). I have family in Tokyo and have stayed there for a few months almost every other year. How do you manage to leave them outside in a tub to culture the shrimps? Are your shrimps Amano shrimps?
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

Kenshin wrote:Hey edinjapan,

I thought the summer season in Japan is quiet hot (especially after the monsoon season). I have family in Tokyo and have stayed there for a few months almost every other year. How do you manage to leave them outside in a tub to culture the shrimps? Are your shrimps Amano shrimps?
Yes, the season is hot, humid and green hairy stuff likes to grow everywhere. The shrimp and fish are put out in April and I bring everybody in by October. Temps can climb but the waterlilies help lower the possibility of overheating by shading the water with their leaves. I reagularily put out 3 varieties of shrimp: Minami Numa, their red cousins RCS and CRS or the regular Bumblebee shrimp.

As long as the tubs are shrimp only you get massive reproduction.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

I would be interested in seeing if you see a difference in production level between the three types of shrimp. I wonder if minami numa ebi and red cherries have a difference ... supposedly the same species, right?

How is the water there in Tokyo? How's the hobby?
I have been considering trying to move there in a year or two.
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hi Ed, I was curious about your quote from your older thread viewtopic.php?p=3848&sid=fe3fb04bd0cd19 ... 3f156168fe

"Neocaridina denticulata
(Minami numa ebi) Found throughout Southern Honshu, Kyushu and Shikoku, these shrimp are closely related to the Cherry Red's."

So it says they are "found" there - but I take it they have been introduced - or are they indigenous?

Also, are these mostly kept as hobby or sometimes used as feeders, as Chlorophyll alluded to concerning N. denticulata (wild form) in Hawaii?

Thanks, GB

(Looking forward to hearing about the head count on CRS...)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Neocaridina denticulata denticulata is native to Japan, Korea and probably a couple more places in that area. Neocaridina denticulata sinensis is the wild form of the Red Cherry Shrimp and is native to Southern China and Taiwan. N. denticulata sinensis was introduced into Hawaii in the beginning of the 1990s.

So, the Red Cherry Shrimp, being Neocaridina denticulata sinensis, is a subspecies of Neocaridina denticulata denticulata.

Hope this helps.
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

Mustafa wrote:Neocaridina denticulata denticulata is native to Japan, Korea and probably a couple more places in that area. Neocaridina denticulata sinensis is the wild form of the Red Cherry Shrimp and is native to Southern China and Taiwan. N. denticulata sinensis was introduced into Hawaii in the beginning of the 1990s.

So, the Red Cherry Shrimp, being Neocaridina denticulata sinensis, is a subspecies of Neocaridina denticulata denticulata.

Hope this helps.
Yes, and they are both very prolific.