Ghost shrimp.

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

dom
Egg
Egg

Ghost shrimp.

Post by dom »

Caught some of them in Cyber Jaya, Malaysia where my office is. Their favourite food is the dead fish or left over of pellet. Lfs selling it as feeder shrimp. Some lfs called it as ghost shrimp. Is there any scientific name of this shrimp?
Veneer
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Ghost shrimp.

Post by Veneer »

dom wrote:Caught some of them in Cyber Jaya, Malaysia where my office is. Their favourite food is the dead fish or left over of pellet. Lfs selling it as feeder shrimp. Some lfs called it as ghost shrimp. Is there any scientific name of this shrimp?
It looks to be some sort of Macrobrachium sp. What was the size range amongst the specimens you collected? Have you observed any of them bearing eggs?
dom
Egg
Egg

Post by dom »

Hi,
The biggest size is around 1.5inch. Average around 1inch+-. Yes. There are 2 female with eggs.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I'm almost 100% certain that this species is what has been identified as Macrobrachium lanchesteri or a very closely related species. They get imported en masse into Germany as "Glass Shrimp."

They have medium sized eggs out of which medium sized larvae hatch, which can be brought up in complete freshwater. However, the larvae are not nearly as developed as the huge larvae that Palaemonetes paludosus produces.

This species is pretty widespread in south Asia.
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hey Dom, mine have been identified as M. lanchesteri, do these ring a bell? They have the dark/black line on them like yours...

-GB
Last edited by GunmetalBlue on Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sami
Egg
Egg

Post by Sami »

This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Is Macrobrachium lanchesteri able to reproduce through parthenogenesis?

I recently bought a M. lanchesteri female, that during the last waterchange molted and soon after took eggs under her tail.
Now I'm wondering if her eggs will ever hatch.
Is she probably able to preserve male germs, and later fertilize the eggs by herself?

Wirbellose.de does not give an answer, as it only says that "Female carries eggs every 20-25 days etc.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

She will drop her eggs soon. Some Macrobrachiums have the habit of carrying around unfertilized eggs for a few days to over a week. Maybe even longer but the timeframes are my personal observations.
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

I can confirm what Mustafa said. I had two females who continued to go through the cycle of carrying eggs and dropping them (I suspect eating them, straight from their pleopod just before they drop). Finally, after about 3 - 4 cycles and with lack of male presence, they stopped having eggs in their pleopod after their molt.

My personal experience has been that they carried the eggs for about 2 - 3 days, then over the next couple days, I could see the number of eggs diminish, then finally disappear altogether (most likely eaten). In my first picture above, you might be able to make out a few remaining green eggs left on her belly.

Here's another pic with green eggs:

While on the subject, wanted to mention one more observation; it was actually a question I asked some time ago, but never got a response to:

"I often notice on ovigerous shrimp that there will be an egg or two that looks to be barely attached. Is there some adhesive material on the egg or is there a velcro-like function on the pleopods?"

Well, while looking through a 10X Agfa loop, I saw that my female Red Cherry's swimmerettes are actually a series of feather-like appendages. Then I recalled having pictures of the swimmerettes on my M. lanchesteri:

So I *think at least in part, it just might be a velcro-ish like thing!

-GB