questions of my ecosystem and Hawaiiian red shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

chengyuk
Egg
Egg

questions of my ecosystem and Hawaiiian red shrimp

Post by chengyuk »

i had the ecosystem for a year now, and i read your website about them.. wow, i feel so guity now. I saw there are waste inside my closed tank, however, people tell me that i dont need to clean it. so can u give me suggestion on where to start to improve their condition? AND what is brackish water (plz explain in detail so i can buy it)
(even though i have read your insructions in caring them...i think they are not suitiable for my shrimp becuse they are less than 1 cm..so WHAT SHOULD I DO??? there is no tank or filter small enough for them...) what food i should give them.. because there is no specialized food especilly for them.... Thank you so so so so much~~~
LiquidBee
Larva
Larva

Post by LiquidBee »

Many would tell you to search the forum, but I'll make it easy for you and give you all the answers

1) Brackish Water = Half Salt Water, Half Fresh Water. You can basically mix your own by adding half sea water and half fresh water or use Instand Ocean Salt Mix.

You might want to get a Hydrometer to measure your Salinity (Measure how salty it is) which should be around 0.12-0.15

2) There isn't really much you can do for the Ecosystem, unless you're planning to move them to a larger tank.

With the larger tank, they'll have more space, the water quality would be better, and they would have more algea to feed on.

Personally, I have a 10G tank with about 50+ little shrimps in them, no filter of any kind, just an occasional 10-20% water change. I rarely feed them, as there is enough algea in the tank for them to eat.

If you are planning to move them to a larger tank, here are some things to note.

1) Make sure the water in the new tank cycles before you put the shrimps in.
2) Make sure the Salinity is right
chengyuk
Egg
Egg

LiquidBee

Post by chengyuk »

WoW!!! thank you so so so so much for the information~~ :D because it is very difficult to search for the optimal conditions for these shrimps, since this shrimp is not a 'usual pet'..haha Anyways, can u tell me what is your experiences with this shrimp, i am so excited to know more about them!~ :wink: thanks liquid bee ^u^
chengyuk
Egg
Egg

do they reproduce??

Post by chengyuk »

do they actually reproduce??? cuz on NASA, they said it is very rare. so i just wondering if they can .... :P hehehhe~~~
LiquidBee
Larva
Larva

My Experience

Post by LiquidBee »

My experience with the shrimps are pretty good.

They are super easy to take care of, just a occasional feeding and water change nothing more than that.

A) No filter / Airation

B) I do have a heater, but rarely uses it, I try to keep the water around 78 degrees....my tank fluxuates from low of 72 (winter, like now) to high of 82 (in the summer), I just keep it at room temp most of the time.

C) I fed my shrimps more when I just started since I didn't have enough algea growth, but now I have cut back on the feeding since I noticed little white worms in the tank. (from over-feeding)

And yes, they will reproduce, in my 6 month of experience, I have seen 3-4 berried females, which have turned into miniture adult version of the shrimps.

At first after they hatch, they swim backwards (kinda like floating backward to me), and just feed on the yok sak, they will reaction and float towards the light.

If you just keep them in a decent condition, they will reproduce in time.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you want, I could sent you some Instand Ocean Salt, as I have purchased a 30 gallon bag and haven't even used a 10th of it.