Amano Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Craig Slice
Egg
Egg

Amano Shrimp

Post by Craig Slice »

I will be introducing some amano shrimp to my endlers tank soon. There are a couple of things i need to know, what should the PH levels be, as well as the temp (currently 76). Also, should i buy them separate food or will they feed on the fishflakes the other fish dont eat?
MAck
Egg
Egg

Re: Amano Shrimp

Post by MAck »

Craig Slice wrote:what should the PH levels be, as well as the temp (currently 76).
the temp should be between 70°F-78°F and pH 5,8-8
Craig Slice wrote:Also, should i buy them separate food or will they feed on the fishflakes the other fish dont eat?
they will eat food for fish as well but you can think about flakes/tablets with extra spiruline&algea for your shrimps
Craig Slice
Egg
Egg

Post by Craig Slice »

what about algea tablets, I saw them at wal-mart, said great form animals that eat algea. Would these be good for them?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Amano Shrimp

Post by badflash »

Don't use tablets. Way too much food and it will foul the tank. Get flake food that has an algae like spirulina as the 1st ingredient. Most flake food has fish meal as primary food.

Don't over feed! If you see anything left in the tank after an hour or so, you've put too much in.

Ghost shrimp (at least so far) seem to be pretty good tank mates for amano's as are apple snails. They keep the scaps cleaned up really well in my tanks.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Ghosts as Tankmates

Post by badflash »

I am re-thinking keeping my Ghosts with other young shrimp. I saw one attack and eat a small cherry shrimp. While not really agressive, they will take advantage of a chance too good to pass up. They are omivoires and so won't pass up much.

I had them at work cleaning up some black beard algae and so was not feeding them anything else they like (they don't seem to eat soft algae but will eat hair and BB algae). They go nuts over daphnia, so a little shrimp is just a bigger snack.

I now have the ghosts in theirt own tanks and have my tigers, cherries and Bamboos in another.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Palaemonetes paludosus can eat baby shrimp without a doubt. It's just that most of the time the baby shrimp are fast enough to jump away.