EDITED WITH images African fan shrimp larva?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Fry

Post by badflash »

They fry mist come out of fresh water and go into salt. The salt water will kill the hydra. Salt will kill the adults so you must separate them.
Earthgoddess
Larva
Larva

Post by Earthgoddess »

Someone else said the salt would not kill them hopefullyyou are right
the
I have the salinity at 20 ppt now about to raise it a bit more.

Ihad a couple 100 then this morning there are only about 30 so if the salt does kill them it must be at a higher level than what it is now

well like I was told atleast I know I have a good pair and next time I will be more prepared with the correct food etc
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

you have to experiment with the salinity to keep the larvae alive. If 20 ppt does not work, then try 25-30ppt and see how that works. Thanks for the pictures by the way. That's a very nice pair of shrimp. :)
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

Mustafa wrote:you have to experiment with the salinity to keep the larvae alive. If 20 ppt does not work, then try 25-30ppt and see how that works. Thanks for the pictures by the way. That's a very nice pair of shrimp. :)
Have to agree with Mustafa. This clears up some questions I had in an earlier post. Please keep the updates and pictures coming.
Earthgoddess
Larva
Larva

Post by Earthgoddess »

I am sorry to report they did not make it now for the hydra war I think I can just start those tanks over now they are empty ussing vinigar to kill it will this work ?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Salinity

Post by badflash »

We are in ncharted terriitoty. Some shrimp need full seawater of 30 PPT, others 15 PPT. I'm inding that saltwater rotifers and algae do not do well at 30 PPt. I am currently breeding algae at 1/2 srength and adding concentrated saltawater at feeding time to bring salinity to the required point.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

I've seen that my tetraselmis does fine at 30 ppt, but nanno takes awhile to start thriving in that salinity and prefers 20ppt or so. In any case, your method should do fine because generally it's not necessary for the greenwater to thrive inside of the larval rearing container... as long as the rotifers get a good regular infusion of it.

As for the rotifers, the cysts I got from Florida Aqua farms gave me guys that did fine at 31 ppt. When starting up a culture, salinity or temperature shock (when transferring from the small starter culture to the larger container) may thwart your chances of getting them to perpetuate in the larval container though. I also like to give them moderate aeration/circulation. Or, maybe they didn't send you the "S" (saltwater) variety.