Non-plant Hiding spots for molting

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Opopanax
Larva
Larva

Non-plant Hiding spots for molting

Post by Opopanax »

I've gone through the boards and I see many people are using well planted tanks for their shrimp, specifically Java moss and fern.

While I have a bit of the moss (not that you ever have a "bit" of this stuff) I'm interested in creating some nice hiding spots for my shrimp to molt and feel protected. Specifically I would like to place these near the side of the tank, with 1 side facing the glass that is transparent for observation.

Has anyone done anything similar? I'm working "on the cheap." At the moment I'm trying to take 20oz soda bottles and cutting the Top off. I then use the top as a mini-cave. I use the top because it's small, and there's no adhesive that I have to worry that is getting in the tank. Clear tops have not worked well since the shrimps seem to get a little confused. I believe I also read that they prefer darker places to molt in. My current plan is to find some sort of neon mesh that I can wrap around the Top and Far side of the bottle top and grow moss onto that mesh.

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?
Ibn
Egg
Egg

Post by Ibn »

Tie the moss down to something which will hold it down. I did a similar thing to some branches last night in the crayfish tank (they're hiding right underneath the branches :-D ). Could probably just change the orientation of the object (branches in this case) to face the other way so that you can see underneath it.

Taiwan moss tied to manzanita branches.
Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Lotus »

In many of my tanks I have driftwood that have caves in them, but buying driftwood isn't cheap.

I have also used river rocks, stacked with three on the bottom layer and one on the top to form really small caves for small fish or shrimp. These were river rocks with a diameter of about 2". They're certainly cheap. You can also cover the rocks with Java moss.

A lot of aquarists also use PVC tubing cut into whatever length is suitable for the fish/shrimp in question. It's cheaply available from hardware stores or home improvement stores. Black would probably look better, but I think white is more often available.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Hiding places

Post by badflash »

I'm using slate and rocks. Just put some rocks the right hight every so often and bridge it with slate. if the shrimp get bigger (like my prawns) get bigger rocks or large pieces of slate. Rocks and slate are as cheap as it gets. You can organize the openings so you can see in.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

I mentioned doing this recently in another thread. But all I did with mine was take a ~5-6 inch long rock and prop it up against the front glass. That rock had a relatively flat bottom, so against the glass it formed sort of a triangular tunnel that I always have a nice view inside of. One of my A. gabonensis is always in there, and other smaller shrimp often pass through or hang out in there. Of course, I made sure it was relatively securely propped up and stable, so as not to have it unexpectedly slide down and injure/scare the animals underneath. Incidentally, it was a Chinese catfish's house until that thing got big enough to be threatening to the shrimp. He/she loved it in there.