african giant filtershrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Raven
Egg
Egg

african giant filtershrimp

Post by Raven »

hi.
recently got me one of these.
http://www.petshrimp.com/africanfiltershrimp.html

he had alot of discolouration which i noticed 2 hours ago and half an hour ago i saw him get undressed ;)
first time i se ashrimp do it in action.

but my question is.

how can i see if the shrimp dislikes being in my aquarium ?
how can i see if he likes to be in my aquarium ?

livs with a red cherry couple with children and 6 friendly fishes which leaves him alone.
he likes to stay behind a big Microsorum pteropus.

Regards
Raven
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: african giant filtershrimp

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Raven wrote:he had alot of discolouration which i noticed 2 hours ago and half an hour ago i saw him get undressed ;)
first time i se ashrimp do it in action.
Next time, you should avert your eyes and give him some privacy. :P :wink: How's he getting along now? Hope he's settling in nicely.
but my question is.

how can i see if the shrimp dislikes being in my aquarium ?
how can i see if he likes to be in my aquarium ?
Those questions might be too general, but to try and answer, basically, we as shrimpkeepers can try to match what can be known about a particular shrimp's preference - and try to provide something similar - and hope it makes them happy.

Very generally speaking, if they seem to spend most of their time picking around (or in the case of filter feeders, filtering around) for food, shows normal range of coloring, is willing to reproduce, etc., then they are probably okay.

Conversely, if they spend their time either not doing anything at all for long periods (other than molting), or if they are crashing around the tank as if they want to get out, then there's probably a potential problem. Also, there are situations where even though the shrimp isn't outright distressed, it may not necessarily mean it is in an optimal situation.

Let us know if/when you have a more specific question or problem; hopefully someone can better help you then. :)

-GB
prawnman88
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by prawnman88 »

i have one of those in my other tank he might be nasty looking but actually hes the nicest animal in there i had a pic of him hanging with my algae eater there pretty kool i guess nature makes u tough looking and creatures leave u alone . i ove seeing the mits going my wife says he like a basebal batter lol :lol:
Raven
Egg
Egg

Post by Raven »

GunmetalBlue wrote:or if they are crashing around the tank as if they want to get out, then there's probably a potential problem.
my red cherries swims around alot and breeds even more.
got one around 10mm long and already she's carring eggs.

i got a rather small aquarium at the moment only 37liter so i once a day take some flakefood mix it with water and use a small syringe so it lands more or less just infront of the atya gabonesis to make sure he gets enough food and he seems to enjoy it.
took many tries but now he walks out when the food starts to "snow" down.
even pushes the redcherries and the amanoshrimp out of the way so i think he is content.

he will either move to a 375liter during spring or get a new bigger aquarium for himself.
thinking of getting some Cromobotia macracanthus for the 375L and heard they can be a bit rough.

but have one question.
does the atya gabonesis prefer fine sand or gravel ?
got 2-4mm gravel at the moment.
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Raven wrote:my red cherries swims around alot and breeds even more.
I haven't figured out why, but I continually run into folks who insist that shrimp flying around the tank (unless it's the mating dance) are doing great. :smt017 Mine just about never fly around unless there's a problem. I just hope it doesn't cause someone to ignore the behavior if in fact, there's some stress going on.
he will either move to a 375liter during spring or get a new bigger aquarium for himself.
This will be much better! :)
but have one question.
does the atya gabonesis prefer fine sand or gravel ?
got 2-4mm gravel at the moment.
I think sand or fine gravel is best. It helps keep all the food particles suspended within the aquarium longer, instead of just falling between the gravel. It also leaves easy access for food on the bottom to be picked up, either by you or by shrimp.

-GB
Raven
Egg
Egg

Post by Raven »

GunmetalBlue wrote:
Raven wrote:my red cherries swims around alot and breeds even more.
I haven't figured out why, but I continually run into folks who insist that shrimp flying around the tank (unless it's the mating dance) are doing great. :smt017 Mine just about never fly around unless there's a problem. I just hope it doesn't cause someone to ignore the behavior if in fact, there's some stress going on.
noticed it happen 2 times now.
the males becomes very active for 1-3 days and some time after i can se a female carring eggs i assume they get active when the female needs a mate for the eggs.
This will be much better! :)
he might have to do with a 80-112 liters instead.

I think sand or fine gravel is best. It helps keep all the food particles suspended within the aquarium longer, instead of just falling between the gravel.
as i suspected.