my observations with breeding Amanos

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

xerxeswasachump
Larva
Larva

Post by xerxeswasachump »

Well it will be ok. I can always use one of their extra 5 gallon tanks or just a big jar. It turns out that a friend of mine might be going home next weekend (he lives by the Jersey shore). So i'll probably go with him and pick up a few gallons of sea water. Will that be appropriate for raising the baby amanos?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I can't say.

I suggest you read a couple of articles:

http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm

http://caridina.japonica.online.fr/English/index.html

Decide for your self.

I think Jersey seawater will probably breed brown gunk, but no amanos. Really excellent if you are breeding hypodermic needles. :evil:
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Ohh..... just a note, that batch I mentioned in my last post failed. I think the environment wasn't aged enough, and I haven't tried again yet. There was also a terminal event around day 14 where almost all the larvae seemed to have beached themselves on the side of the glass overnight. This may be the phenomenon that seems to be occur if lights are off at night... maybe light reflections off bubbles at night attracts the larvae to the upwelling where the aeration is hitting the surface, and they end up stuck in the bubbles and in surface tension. Or maybe the larvae just jumped for poor water quality. This didn't happen with my successful batch, and I was running a light/dark period for them too...
Will try another soon.

btw, at 26 C I observed earlier that eggs can be ready to hatch in about 3 weeks. Higher temperatures can speed up maturing... not sure at what point higher temp becomes a detriment though!

Anyway, I'm sure by now you can see which batches are more ready to hatch than others, Badflash! Looks like you have a nice aged hab for your larvae, and with have light on 24/7.... I anticipate success for you. Good luck!