Traveling egg carrying cherry

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Over here, the shortest I've recorded for my RCS hatching was 17 days in about 78F average temp. It seems shocking to me how short it takes for Cherries to hatch. Guess that's part of the reason why a person can end up with a lot of shrimp in a short amount of time.

TKD, about raising the temp, I don't know your reasons or how low yours currently happens to be, but it's not really necessary ... actually, if you're too low, it's your Bamboo shrimp that will feel uncomfortable. Just check the minimum temp in the Varieties Page for the different shrimps you have, and go from there. If you raise it, just click it up a degree per day till you get what you want. Remember that there's temp fluctuations in the normal course of a day, so a degree or two change shouldn't be a problem.

-GB
tapmxt1
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by tapmxt1 »

Yes. That's about the same as what I had recorded. The temporature of my tanks are 76-78 degree and it takes 16-18 days to hatch.

I have sponge filters in the tanks which are black or gray. I look at the sponges for the babies (you will find them standing on the sponges).

I thought the newly born cherry red babies were tiny. But ...

Last night, I saw (first time) the newly hatched Amano babies (still hatching. collected 100+ babies and it looks like the female still have more a thousand eggs). Comparatively cherry red babies are GIANT monsters ;-) Amano eggs take about 24 days to hatch (the female got pregnant on New Year Eve). And that tank is at 77-80 degree usually.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Hi all,

Well I uped the temp to 25C on Monday night.
As of last night she was still holding.

I don't see any eye spots though. :?

TKD
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Hi everyone,

I think she dropped eggs (I can't her apart from some of the others now).

I don't see any babies though...

I hope the water change and increasing the temp did not cause to drop the eggs prematurely :(

EDIT... OMG I just saw a BABY (Go figure after posting) man its BIG at least 3 mm if not more :-D :-D :D

EDIT2... Should I take out my Amano to be safe?

TKD
Shrimplet
Egg
Egg

Post by Shrimplet »

How can you tell if you see eyes? I can't even see eggs. I am only going on the rounded underside of mine. I have practically stood on my head to get a good look :oops: but can't really tell. At first it looked like there was something moving under there but then I noticed it was her spinnerets or what ever. :wink:
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Hi Shrimplet,

I guess it is like fish eggs.
When the fry are close to hatching you can see two dark spots in the eggs... the eyes.

I never did see them but she was hiding.

TKD

PS I say 7 or 8 babies today... :-D
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

HI TDK

congrat.
i can see me when i read this thread :)
i am new in the shrimp also and pass by the same emotion as you.

i was carefully supervise 2 of my cherry female with eggs and see the 2 black dot and suddently no more eggs :(
i look at the tank for hour , trying find baby , i was relaly deseperate :(
but one day i see 1 single baby , i will not even tell you the excitation , but i was disapointed to see only 1 baby.
1 week after i start supervise an other female again and i see about 25 babies , wow , i was really excited and very happy.

the baby are so tiny and clear you cannot see them when they hatch specially in a tank with lot of java moss like mine :)
i was so happy :)

somebody in this thread talk about move baby to a growing tank , how can you do that ? they are so small....
let me know please.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Unless there are shrimp eating fish, or a filter that can suck them up, there is no need to isolate the babies from the adults. If you have issues in your tank, move the mother to a rearing tank when the eggs change color, then move her back after the hatch.
Last edited by badflash on Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrimplet
Egg
Egg

Post by Shrimplet »

bad: do the cherry shrimp eggs change color and what color are they? :-D
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

The eggs start out looking like yellow pudding. Over time they gain what looks to me to be a greenish-brown tinge just before they hatch. I think this is the little shrimp showing through. If you search the forum I'm sure someone has posted pictures. Just got my 3rd hatch of the little buggers. My tank is crawling with babies. Man do they grow fast!
Shrimplet
Egg
Egg

Post by Shrimplet »

My mama shrimp have large what I would call bellies. I have had them for 19 days now in 76f water. I can't really tell a difference in color but I have discovered another one that looks to have eggs and this would have been since they arrived. Someone said they take about 17 days to hatch, does the temp make a difference in how quick they hatch? :?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

In general the warmer the water the shorter time it takes. Don't push it above 78F, but they seem to do quite well at that temperature. The 17 day mark was at 78F, but my experience is closer to 3 weeks.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

GunmetalBlue-
Got any of your great pics of a near term Cherry Shrimp Momma to show the folks what to look for?
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Hi everyone,

I went back to the LSF on Friday do see if they had any other shrimp... they did.... some of the cherries of the same batch as this female had had babies and they were all over the tank lol. Some were even bigger then mine. The temp in the tank must have been higher.

I guess there are males in there and they are two or three times more colorful then those in GunmetalBlue's and Mustafa's pictures.

Oh and a question with color... how fast can babies get color?
Some of mine are already getting a "pink" tinge... I was not expecting it this fast.

Oh right, I ended up getting another Wood shrimp :)

EDIT: Ok, So I exagerated the color of the males abit... but still they are more colorfull then pics I have seen.

TKD
Last edited by TKD on Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

OK, I need a good camera, I know, but this is as good as I can do right now:

You can see the kind of greenish color. These will likely hatch in a few days. Been trying to breed these darn things since september and no joy until just a little while ago. Now I'm being over run with these guys!. All of my females are either carrying eggs, about to molt and start to carry, or just dropped babies and getting saddled again. I've even got females with no color at all carrying eggs!

If you don't give up and you learn from your mistakes, you'll get shrimp!