My Amano Project

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

BlueEL
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by BlueEL »

wow never seen blue Amano eggs before, could you take a pic?
Keep trying, patience will be rewarded!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

OK, I'm getting the hang of this camera. The features are a real pain and manual focus control goes away if the thing goes into screen saver mode. Anyway, here is the best I can do so far:

Here is a normal amano with eggs:

Here is my "Blue" with a normal shrimp in the forground for contrast:

Finally, here is just the "Blue"

The little fish you see are wild type Endler's Liverbearers. I keep them and Siamese Algae Eaters in the tank with my Amanos.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

A new hatch started today (feb 26). Just a few zoes in the water now.
Caridina sp.
Larva
Larva

Post by Caridina sp. »

Awsome thread badflash that blue amano is a beauty. Keep the pictures and updates coming! Keep messing with your camera it'll be simple to work in a few weeks. :D
fishbreed
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by fishbreed »

how can you tell when a female's eggs are ripe and about to hatch? i have one female with clear eggs and one with black eggs? also i notice one day the females have eggs and the next nothing. since it is in a community tank and not a breeding tank i am just assuming they released the eggs and they were lunch. SO, I guess my actual question here is, once i notice the female has eggs, im assuming she develops eggs before they are fertimlized. ok once she has eggs and i let a male into her tank to breed how do i know when the eggs have been fertilized so i can take the male back out. and when do i know they are about to hatch.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

The eggs are fertilized on their way out of the female.... so they are fertilized before they are seen on her tail. If they aren't fertilized by then, the eggs will probably be gone within a day. If a female has eggs on her tail for more than a day, those eggs are probably fertilized. The lighter color the eggs, the closer to hatching they are. If they are almost clear looking, the eggs are every near ready to hatch... and just by disturbing her by moving her to a new isolated tank, she will probably release a small amount of eggs, which will be seen a few tiny larvae floating around in the water column. Generally, eggs are on a female's tail for 3 to 4 weeks before hatching. Closer to 3 weeks in temperature near 26 or 27 C, closer to 5 weeks in temperatures under 23C... from my observation anyway :-)
fishbreed
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by fishbreed »

DAVE THANKS!!!!!!!!!!
I notice the eggs are from the mid section down. are you saying they actually move down and down closer to the tail itself before they are going to hatch?? so maybe when they are about be released none are at the mid section and almost all of them near the tail?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

If you look at the above pictures you will see eggs both on the back under the shell and on the swimmerlets. Once on the swimmerlets they don't move until the hatch. The eggs on the back or "saddle" will lengthen as the eggs get ready to be fertilized. If you look closely you'll see they go all the way to the tail. Once the eggs hatch they will molt and carry more eggs within days. I put a male in the maternity ward just in case one hatches and I don't catch her in time.
fishbreed
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by fishbreed »

after this experiment with amano's is done and complete are you going to write it up?? maybe it could be added to the article page or put as a sticky. how to breed amanos in laymans terms :)
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

I've had my amanos for almost 2 years but have never ventured into the brackish set up for the larvae.

How did you get a blue amano anyway? :shock:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

after this experiment with amano's is done and complete are you going to write it up??
Yes, Mustafa has asked me to do this (read back at the beginning of this thread).
How did you get a blue amano anyway?
I used a silver fishnet :D (I bought them) The fellow I got them from says he gets a few with every order. I had about 5, but the one pictured is especially blue, a real standout. When I had a crappy camera, nobody here even believed me, they said I must have something else or that it was dyed. Never seen dye go through so many molts, then get all over the eggs :roll: . Seach out my blue amano thread.
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

Wow that's great....so do you have a totally new sub species?
fishbreed
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by fishbreed »

Quote:
after this experiment with amano's is done and complete are you going to write it up??

Yes, Mustafa has asked me to do this (read back at the beginning of this thread).

i read this thread about 5 times, excuse for forgetting something in life
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

badflash wrote:Never seen dye go through so many molts, then get all over the eggs :roll: . Seach out my blue amano thread.
A little off-topic (since it's not about your amano breeding) but I still think they are dyed. ;) Their color is similar to the color of my "blue shrimp." they also don't lose their coloration after molts (and they have gone through a whole bunch). However, *all* of their offspring are not blue at all...not even a hint of it. My theory is that they either eat something in their natural habitats, which gives them their blue color or they are fed something in captivity. "Dying" works different in shrimp from fish and can remain in shrimp tissue permanently (whereas it disappers in fish after a while). As for the eggs, they are actually the same color as the non-blue shrimp's eggs (even in your pics) but the blue on the shrimp makes the eggs look bluish, too. That's the same with my blue neocaridina.

Bottom line is that if the offspring of "blue" shrimp are not blue at all, then obviously the blue is not hereditary and thus artificial in one way or another, even if it comes from natural food in their habitats.

Now back to your breeding updates.... :)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Mustafa- You need to use eyballs in my tank then. The eggs are not the same color. Trust me. I understand what you are saying about the dye, but I can't see how that can work. In any event, too soon to count my shrimp before they are hatched.

Does anyone know how to induce a hatch? These ladies are all overdue and it looks like they are dropping the zoes very slowly. I thought I had a hatch going earlier in the week, but there were only 4-5 zoes, then all of here eggs were gone.