Natural sponges in shrimp tanks

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

HylaW
Egg
Egg

Post by HylaW »

Hi, Im new here and this is my first post. I have read this whole thread and I had a theory on the sponges that were packaged in plastic and did not work in the shrimp tanks. Plastic leaches chemicals, especially if warm. If the sponges were put into the packaging when they were even slightly warm, after being dried, then it would heat the plastic causing chemicals to leach and they would have no were to go but into the sponges. Also if the packages of sponges were ever stored in a non cooled area, say a shipping truck, the same thing would happen. Dont know if that is what happened or not, just a theory. It seems that everyone that has bought their sponges packaged in netting, no matter what color, has not had any problems.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

HylaW wrote:Hi, Im new here and this is my first post. I have read this whole thread and I had a theory on the sponges that were packaged in plastic and did not work in the shrimp tanks. Plastic leaches chemicals, especially if warm. If the sponges were put into the packaging when they were even slightly warm, after being dried, then it would heat the plastic causing chemicals to leach and they would have no were to go but into the sponges. Also if the packages of sponges were ever stored in a non cooled area, say a shipping truck, the same thing would happen. Dont know if that is what happened or not, just a theory. It seems that everyone that has bought their sponges packaged in netting, no matter what color, has not had any problems.
Sounds like a valid theory :) Thanks for sharing.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It seems that everyone that has bought their sponges packaged in netting, no matter what color, has not had any problems.
Hello HylaW and welcome :)

That is a very good point and interesting hypothesis/observation. If you bought your sponges in plastic packaging and have had problems please let us know.

This might be tough to get responses because it is harder for members to report problems than it is to report successes.
HylaW
Egg
Egg

Post by HylaW »

I have not purchased any sponges. I have two tanks set up currently one is a 75 and one is a 55. And two other tanks not being used at the moment. I wanted to buy some shrimp for the tanks and then found this website. Now it looks like I am going to set up a shrimp solo tank. So I am just combing the forums soaking up the knowledge and waiting for the Store page to be updated with Cherry Shrimp.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

Neonshrimp wrote:
It seems that everyone that has bought their sponges packaged in netting, no matter what color, has not had any problems.
Hello HylaW and welcome :)

That is a very good point and interesting hypothesis/observation. If you bought your sponges in plastic packaging and have had problems please let us know.

This might be tough to get responses because it is harder for members to report problems than it is to report successes.
i did buy a sponge package in plastic
as soon as i have some time will do a test
and of course let everybody know.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Now it looks like I am going to set up a shrimp solo tank. So I am just combing the forums soaking up the knowledge and waiting for the Store page to be updated with Cherry Shrimp.
Cool, that is the best way to do it :!:
as soon as i have some time will do a test
and of course let everybody know.
Thanks zapisto, I will keep an eye open for the results ;-)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Guybrush wrote:After a week or so now, they seem less interested though :(
It's probably because it's a small sponge and they already ate the current goodies off of it.
If I get impatient, I might end up hunting for more sponges...
Guybrush and others, I don't think you guys have quite understood what the purpose of these sponges is. ;) The shrimp are not supposed to swarm on a new sponge that you just dropped in there. The sponges are supposed to grow microorganisms over time and the shrimp will *slowly* eat them whenever they have the chance. You will never see shrimp swarm a sponge. The only time that will happen is if you have had a sponge in a fish tank (no shrimp to graze on), and it accumulated tons of microorganisms on the surface, and then you drop the sponge into a shrimp tank. But even then, the "swarming" will the only temporary.

The purpose of the sponge is to provide long term grazing opportunities, not short-term swarming opportunities. And a newly purchased sponge won't provide either (and should not be expected to provide either) as it will still need to accumulate microorganisms.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I've found that all you really need to do is turn the sponge over every once in a while. New growth can be accessed on the bottom. Turn it over and there is lots of fresh growwies.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

I saw my tiny RCS grazing on a synthetic sponge I have in the tank (it is a tiny sponge used to clean filter equipment in hard to get spots but I dropped it in the tank and it is doing nicely). This good 8)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

(it is a tiny sponge used to clean filter equipment in hard to get spots but I dropped it in the tank and it is doing nicely).
It is good to know that we can use nontoxic synthetic sponges. Thanks for the tip :D
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Neonshrimp wrote:
(it is a tiny sponge used to clean filter equipment in hard to get spots but I dropped it in the tank and it is doing nicely).
It is good to know that we can use nontoxic synthetic sponges. Thanks for the tip :D
You are welcome, it was in the tank for about a week with the feeder guppies, pond snails, and ghost shrimp with no problems ;-)
8x10
Larva
Larva

sponge

Post by 8x10 »

Hi,
I haven't posted in a long time but I still have shrimp. Finally made it to my Walmart to get a bag of these sponges last night. Soaked one in treated water overnight, Just put it in my tank a few minutes ago. It looks nice and has shrimp checking it out. None have gone crazy.

This particular tank never seems to have much algae, The water and the glass are always crystal clear. Maybe this will make for happier shrimp. And they seem to be showing more interest in it than they did in the oak leaves

Thinking about putting one in my salt water tank too
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi 8x10,

Good to see you posting again. What type(s) of shrimp do you have in the tank?
It looks nice and has shrimp checking it out. None have gone crazy.
It may take a while for the microorganisms to grow on the sponge. So they are more interested in the sponge than the leaves, that is good to know :D
Thinking about putting one in my salt water tank too
Please let us know how it turns out if you do.
8x10
Larva
Larva

kind of shrimp

Post by 8x10 »

I have red cherries

And I did put a sponge in my saltwater tank. It looks really nice in there. Sponges are from the ocean so figured it was safe. If it doesn't hurt a shrimp who are super senstive to anything how could it be bad for anything else. I might even give my beta one to sit on since there are a dozen in the package. Super cheap at Walmart - found them by the brushes for toille painting etc - all the way down on the bottom (most Walmarts are set up the same)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the tip on the sponges. I will be getting more soon :-D