New to forums :) I purchased Red Cherry Shrimps from Mustafa

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

JoshGuppy
Larva
Larva

Post by JoshGuppy »

yes what is iodine used for?
how much?
certain type?
JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by JaVaGiRl »

~~~~ Josh ~~~~
Iodine is for moulting and breeding. It also helps keep shrimpies happy and healthy. You can get iodine at any pet store, usually by the salt water stuff. It's 100% safe. I use Kent Marine Concentrated Iodine
($8.99 for 8 oz.).
fugly
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: ......

Post by fugly »

JaVaGiRl wrote:~~~~ Josh ~~~~
Iodine is for moulting and breeding. It also helps keep shrimpies happy and healthy. You can get iodine at any pet store, usually by the salt water stuff. It's 100% safe.
Not 100% if you overdose. Use sparingly 1-2x/week.
JoshGuppy
Larva
Larva

Post by JoshGuppy »

oh so i dont add it once like anything else? gotta keep adding it? Haha, i hope i have enough knowledge before they get here!!!
fugly
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fugly »

like anything, maintenance is the key.
Janis
Larva
Larva

Post by Janis »

Hi Josh,

There isn't any evidence that iodine helps freshwater shrimp so I don't use it and my shrimp are fine, but if you want to use it then don't use the same dosing that the bottle suggests because that's for salt water. I have heard that Frank Greco from Frank's Aquarium uses (or used to use) one drop of the Kent's Marine Iodine for every 10 gal of tank water. Dose once a week. I feed my shrimp marine algae every once and a while and I figure that must have some iodine in it.

Janis :-D
JoshGuppy
Larva
Larva

Post by JoshGuppy »

You guys are great with helping out and giving advice :)
I appriciate it. I am all new to this shrimp care stuff :)
Josh
JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

funny

Post by JaVaGiRl »

Janis Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:11 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Josh,

There isn't any evidence that iodine helps freshwater shrimp

Wow, thats funny, it even says on the bottle that it helps shrimp, hmmm.. bottle must be wrong :)
JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

funny

Post by JaVaGiRl »

Janis Posted: Sat May 28, 2005 11:11 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Josh,

There isn't any evidence that iodine helps freshwater shrimp

Wow, thats funny, it even says on the bottle that it helps shrimp, hmmm.. bottle must be wrong :)
Janis
Larva
Larva

Post by Janis »

There has been quite a bit of discussion on these boards about this subject already, but I'll give a quick synopsis. Iodine is completely necessary for the growth and development of saltwater invertebrates. It is a component of ocean water and, therefore, is necessary to have in a saltwater tank. That's probably why it says that on the saltwater iodine bottle. BUT, iodine levels in freshwater environments are very low to non-existent so freshwater shrimp probably don't need the iodine. Some hobbyists claim that their shrimp grow better with iodine, but there hasn't actually been any scientific study on the subject so the jury is still out. I have tried it both ways and haven't found any significant advantage to using it so I don't bother.

Janis :-D
Last edited by Janis on Sun May 29, 2005 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

For the record, your seller (Mustafa) doesn't use iodine supplementation either.
No need to use your money or time on it, unless you just happen to like doing it :) (doing it safely, of course)
JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

Don't sweet it.

Post by JaVaGiRl »

Don't even continue the conversation then, if its been discussed before. I already told Josh I would send him some for free. I have done business with him plenty of times. He's a big boy, he can decide on his own. Thanks.
JoshGuppy
Larva
Larva

Post by JoshGuppy »

I'm not meaning to turn this into a heated discussion.... :)
JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

hehe

Post by JaVaGiRl »

I just bought 10 cherries and 10 amanos plus shipping for ONLY $30 !!

WAHOOOOO ! HEHE WAHOO !! HEHE !! WAHHOOOO, ok i'm done :)
JoshGuppy
Larva
Larva

Post by JoshGuppy »

howd you get such a deal?!