Fish and shrimp?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Daniel G
Egg
Egg

Fish and shrimp?

Post by Daniel G »

Which fish work with shrimp? Guppy? Platy? Rasbora? Cichlids? Bettas?

I know catfish and corydoras work because I have tried it myself, but I was hoping to put together a list of shrimpcompatible fish.

Real life experiences please...

Daniel
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

shrimp & fish

Post by badflash »

My Otto's (Otocinclus) seem fine. I also have tried bullfrog tagpoles (not really fish) and they are fine so far too. Not just any tadpole will do though. Many eat meat, but bullfrogs don't, until they are frogs.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Hi,

Here are my fish.

Black Neons
Neons
Ottos
Clown Pleco

I also have japanese trap door Snails

They are with two cherries and a wood shrimp.

TKD
touie
Egg
Egg

Post by touie »

I've have 10 amano and a bamboo shrimp in with dwarf puffers and that works well, though my DPs are pretty chilled out little guys! :D
Last edited by touie on Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Lotus »

I've had shrimp live with many fish, but are you asking if they'll not get eaten at all?
Daniel G
Egg
Egg

Post by Daniel G »

Yes , only fish that definetly do NOT eat adult shrimp.

Daniel
algae
Egg
Egg

Post by algae »

Are there cherry shrimp-eaters in this group...?

Bleeding Heart Tetras
Cherry Barbs
Dwarf Gourami
Corydoras
Zebra Loach (small)
Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Lotus »

Endlers livebearers
Cories
Espes rasboras
most pleco species
Dojo loaches

Oddly enough, I have shrimp surviving in tanks with the following (they hide well, I assume some get eaten on a regular basis, but I still find them):
Angelfish
Clown loaches/kubotai loaches/skunk loaches/red-finned loaches/batik loaches
Blue gourami
Swordtails
Platies
DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

shrimp and fish

Post by DatDamWuf »

I got a pair of guppies because my husband was complaining there were no fish in the tank. They are chowing down on algae, do I need to worry about the shrimp?
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

I had guppies take apart ghost shrimp.

TKD
DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Shrimp Forum

Post by DatDamWuf »

I saw your post too late I think. I just removed the guppies but where I was seeing as many as 4 cherries out and about at the same time I have not seen a single one today or tonight. I think the female guppie had em for lunch dammit. I am hopeful that she just drove them into hiding....but doubtful. I thought they'd be OK after watching for a day because the guppies jumped away when a shrimp jumped in front of them, sigh...may need to make a new order in a few days.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Fish & Shrimp

Post by badflash »

Anyone have experience with SAE's and young or old shrimp? I understand true SAE's eat more than just algae.
DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Fish & Shrimp

Post by DatDamWuf »

Well, I know I have at least a couple of shrimp still around since removing the guppies. I also rearranged the tank the day before I took out the fish so the shrimp may just not be happy with the new plant setup. My husband has become enamoured of the shrimp and has told me not to put any fish in there until we have a good adult shrimp population, he's killing me :lol: He spotted a very red cherry tonight with a yellow saddle and accused me of killing the other shrimp, ack!

Question, if I set up a kids 2 gallon tank with just an airstone undergravel can I raise the shrimp in that and then move them to the big tank? I have a nitrite deficit, due to only having 4 Otos in the 46 gallon, I will have the tank parameters correct in the next week or so to move in some kuhli's and then Discus. I know if I feed them well they will ignore the shrimp, but only if the shrimp are good sized.

I am using RO/DI water and just got Seachem Alkaline Buffer and Acid Buffer to set it properly because the Kent RO Right gives me very alkaline water. I am currently using Flourish Potassium, Iron, Excel and regular Flourish in the tank. Anyone with experience doing a freshwater planted tank that can advise to the reconstitution of RO I'd be interested.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

reconstitution of RO

Post by badflash »

I use Proper pH 7.5. 1 scoop to a gallon of water, then I use 1 cup of that added to a gallon of RO. They don't make scoops tiny enough so I use that method. Into each gallon of buffered water I put in 1.5 cc's of each of the 2 parts of Kent Pro-culture. Makes my Riccia grow like crazy.

My amano's, cherries and ghosts all seem to be doing fine with it.

I'd worry about the iron.
Shady
Larva
Larva

Post by Shady »

I used to work for API, makers of Proper pH. You probably don't want to use it in a plant tank, and definitely don't want to use it to reconstitute DI or RO water. To reconstitute RO water, you should use Electro-Right, which is sold for use with the Tap Water Filter or other deionizers and RO units. It supplies the right balance of minerals and electrolytes. To get the KH where you want, you can use pH Adjuster, or even just good-'ol sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

Proper pH, or any buffer, in a plant tank will interfere with proper CO2 injection (because it will not allow you to reduce your pH to where you know your CO2 is correct), and it can induce algae since it is high in phosphate.

BTW, first post! I like the group. I just started a nice plant tank after a 5 year hiatus, and ordered my Red Cherry Shrimp today!