EDITED WITH images African fan shrimp larva?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Earthgoddess
Larva
Larva

EDITED WITH images African fan shrimp larva?

Post by Earthgoddess »

How small would the larva from a african fan shrimp be? Like little treads?

also would they stick themselves to the glass?
Last edited by Earthgoddess on Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earthgoddess
Larva
Larva

Post by Earthgoddess »

Now I see even smaller threads with little parachute or flower like things on them weird it seems almost like little fans is this crazy or could this be shrimp larva??
Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Lotus »

It sounds like it might be hydra in your tank. Try a Web search for images, then search on here for some ways to get rid of them, if that's what you have.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Are the "threads" floating in the water column? do they have a head and a tail? If not, then they are most likely not larvae.
Earthgoddess
Larva
Larva

Post by Earthgoddess »

I don't think it could be hydra this is a freshwater tank
is there freshwater hydra?

no they are not floating I examined her closer and she still has a bunch of eggs so I think I will have to wait some more

Maybe Thanksgiving!!! :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Can you do me a favor and post pictures of the male and the female? I have yet to see a clear picture of both sexes of these shrimp (believe it or not). They do not seem to have the same sexual dimorphism that Atyopsis moluccensis fan shrimp have, where the males have the huge legs whereas the females have normal sized legs, but stockier bodies.
Earthgoddess
Larva
Larva

Post by Earthgoddess »

WHoooo!!

I have shrimp Larva

:D :-D

But I may have Hydra :cry:

Iused a mag float trying to kill the hydra but I don't know if that will work

Yes I will do my best on the pictures
I got some great shots of both my males today

Now how to get freshwater rotifers anyone local to Spokane Wa that has any how do I get it???

How about liquid fry same question and can it work or is it the same thing?
Earthgoddess
Larva
Larva

Post by Earthgoddess »

Last edited by Earthgoddess on Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earthgoddess
Larva
Larva

Post by Earthgoddess »

http://www.fishaholics.org/phpBB2/album ... id=585[img]

that one above is of my African fan shrimp a few months back the female is on the left the male on the right the only real diffrence I have noticed is that she has always been alot smaller although she has molted a few times and realy grown she seems to have grown slower she is still a bit smaller and her legs are not as big like everyone say as the males

http://www.fishaholics.org/phpBB2/album ... pic_id=586 [/img]

that one the male is on the left the female on the right

http://www.fishaholics.org/phpBB2/album ... id=587[img]

This last one is the bag I have the female in now waiting to release her into her regular tank after she is done releasing the rest of the larva wow there is like 1000 well allot of larva I hope I can get some to survive PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE well the first half is being converted to brackish now and I gues this last half will be a bit diffrent so it will be hard to tell what was the best way if I get some survivors well anyway HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!!TO ALL THE SHRIMP PEOPLE

sorry this was the only way I could figure out to put the images up [/img]
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

rotifers

Post by badflash »

I think liquifry would be your best bet at this point unless you can find a local supply of salwater rotifers and saltwater greenwater. Florida Aqua Farms sells a rotifer kit, but it takes too long to do you any good. I'm gearing up for Amanos and Bamboo shrimp so I'm setting up a tanks and growing marine algae.

Don't get carried away with Feeding. A VERY light haze in the water is all you want. More will foul the water.

Here is an option. I don't know if it will work for saltwater, but it is worth a shot rather than let the larva starve. As I understand it you have about a few days before the 1st molt and they start to feed. Get a plastic bucket. Put about a gallon of seawater in it. Take 1/2 a hard boiled egg yolk and put it in a blender with about a cup of the seawater and blend it up until smooth.

Pour this into your gallon of seawater and put a bubbler on it. Use a bright light over it to provide heat and keep it at around 80 degrees. It will smell bad, so good ventilation is a good idea. After 2 days you should get a bunch of micro critters you can siphon off the top. They are attracted to the light. After you havest enough to feed give the mess a stir. When it settles to a yellowish liquid with squirmers at the top you can havest again. Try not to suck up any of the egg particles, just the little squirmy guys. After 4 days start a new batch from the 1st batch. After a week dump the 1st batch and start over.

I used this the aquarium water, not salt water, but I'd think it would work pretty much the same. I used this to feed daphnia for quite a while until I learned how to culture green water.
Earthgoddess
Larva
Larva

Post by Earthgoddess »

It was my understasnding to feed freshwater rotifers and freshwater greenwater is this not correct should it be saltwater rotifers and greenwater?

Thanks for the recipe
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

African fan shrimp larva

Post by badflash »

Brackish or full strength seawater would need saltwater greenwater and saltwater rotifers. These larva need to get into saltwater within a few days of hatching to survive. They need to get there before their 1st molt.

Once you get the rotifers going you should just feed the culture with greenwater of the same salt concentration as the larva are in. The rotifers will eat the greenwater and sustain themselves.
Earthgoddess
Larva
Larva

Post by Earthgoddess »

so I started freshwater greenwater if I just add the salt to get it to the same level that they are in will that work or is it going to kill everything since it began fresh?

I do have three marine tanks that have been getting brown and green algae on the glass could I use that off the glass??

do local chain pet stores carry liquid fry?

Edit: I found some one for live births and one for egg layers any one better than the other or get both??
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Baby Food.

Post by badflash »

If there is a LFS that has salt water chorals, they probably carry food for chorals. In a pinch this may work for you. They also may carry liquifry.

Another product to look for is Golden Pearls. Brine shrimp Direct sells them. You could do an express order. 50-100 microns size.

Read over Mike Noren's article on Amano's as the culture is supposed to be similar:
http://mikes-machine.mine.nu/breeding_yamato.htm

As to the green water, some algae will make the transition to salt, some won't. The type of algae that grows on the side is not what you want. They may eat it, but I don't think so.
Earthgoddess
Larva
Larva

Post by Earthgoddess »

Well I called around and found some liquafry bought it and then I went to to our lfs were we had a light we had ordered waiting I purchased some
DT's Live Marine Phytoplankton
and oyster eggs that are creamy and white liquid

I fed a little of both when I arrived at home hopefuly they will love it and thrive!!

What do you think about moving the larva out of that tank into another that does not have the so called hydra in it do you think that will be ok or will it spread the hydra?