Bamboo shrimp questions

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Used
Egg
Egg

Bamboo shrimp questions

Post by Used »

Hello everyone. I recently visited my lfs and saw their 55 gallon planted freshwater display tank with a bright red Bamboo shrimp crawling along the substrate, so I would like some info about these awesome shrimp as I would like to care for some.

1) What's the minimum size tank for 1 or 2?
2.) Are they peaceful towards their own species? Are they peaceful towards fish?
3.) What is their dietary needs?
4.) Anything else I should know before caring for these wonderful fish?

:D
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hi Used, Bamboo are a wonderful shrimp! Sometimes they are underappreciated or made fun of :( . I can understand that they take getting used to for some, but it's unfortunate when they miss their good qualities. I think of them as gentle giants that are very graceful - even amazing-looking when they fan (filter feed).

1.) 20 gallon and up is good.

2.) Yes, they are peaceful toward both their own species and to other species. With that said, mine do "push" each other very occasionally to bump for a good filtering spot, but they don't harm each other.

3.) I don't proactively feed mine; there are only two in a 20 gal (along with RCS) and they seem to get enough to eat by filtering most of the day, judging by their waste. They do get some crushed flake when it drifts by them, or sometimes they will sweep food and biofilm from the substrate or plants with their fans.

4.) You must have been a little tired - Bamboo are shrimp, not fish :-D . The tank should have a decent current since that's how they feed - by filtering. Make sure your tank is well cycled before adding shrimp.

I hear many people say they are shy and hide a lot, or that they are frightened when the lights first turn on. If yours turn out to be this way, give them some leeway and not disturb them too much while they settle in (of course it would be true of all shrimp anyway, in this regard).

-GB
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

I hear many people say they are shy and hide a lot, or that they are frightened when the lights first turn on. If yours turn out to be this way, give them some leeway and not disturb them too much while they settle in (of course it would be true of all shrimp anyway, in this regard).
One of the things I like to do with animals that like to hide, is to build the best shelter up against the front glass of the tank so you end up with (for example) a across-section of a cave. Of course, you can only hope the animal decides to make that their place. One of my Gabbies inhabits a "cave" (it's more like a short tunnel) like this, so I'm always able to easily peek in on 'her.' The other one seems to like the backside of one of the other rocks, so I hardly get to see that one. Ironically, the one that uses the cave is the much shier one but I get to see her all the time! :o
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Bamboo shrimp

Post by badflash »

I have 3 smaller females and one medium sized male in a 10 gallon tank with about 20 Amanos, 12 bumble bees, 4 Siamese algae eaters, 4 endlers, 4 freshwater clams, a bunch of MTS, and 2 mystery snails. I have an over the side filter set up to take suction on an undergravel filter. I also have an elite mini filter on the side just to creat more flow for the bamboos.

I've had these for about 2 months now and they are very happy. I think the idea that you need a huge tank for these guys is a myth.

I feed live algea once a day for them and several of the other tank mates and well as ground algea flake food and sinking goldfish food. I have two large rocks with holes in them for the shrimp to hide out in if they want. They like to perch and filter. In low flows they will wander around and clean the substrate. A couple of times a week I treat the tank with a scoop of moina. The supposed algea eating shrimp and the bamboos drop what they are doing and empty the tank of these guys in minutes.

After a while they settle down and are not so shy. These are all wild captured animals as far as I know, so it takes them a while to figure out they are not in danger. They really don't like to have the tank disturbed, so don't go re-arranging things unless you really need too.

I have floating riccia and a large jave fern for plants.
Used
Egg
Egg

Re: Bamboo shrimp

Post by Used »

badflash wrote: A couple of times a week I treat the tank with a scoop of moina. The supposed algea eating shrimp and the bamboos drop what they are doing and empty the tank of these guys in minutes.
Thanks everyone for your comments, I really appreciate it.

What is Moina? I've heard the word before but not quite sure what it is.
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

Moina are a smaller cousin of Daphnia(water fleas).
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Bamboo shrimp

Post by badflash »

Here is one of my small bamboo shrimp filter feeding from her perch below the filter discharge. Forgive the picture quality. It doesn't measure up to most of the posters her.

I've had these shrimp for several months now and they are doing fine, growing and molting, always filtering. They are getting much bolder ~3 weeks after their latest move.