My Amano Project

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

badflash wrote:Mustafa- You need to use eyballs in my tank then. The eggs are not the same color. Trust me.
Trust me, I am using both eyeballs. If you look at your own picture you will see that the eggs are actually the same color, blue amano or not, but the bluish body gives the eggs a different "hue." You might want to check out the following thread where I already discussed the blue Neocaridina:

viewtopic.php?t=1199&highlight=blue+neocaridina

Don't the eggs look almost bluish to you? Well, they are not. And neither are the offspring, nor the eggs of the offspring. It's an illusion.
I understand what you are saying about the dye, but I can't see how that can work. In any event, too soon to count my shrimp before they are hatched.
It's very easy to understand. Certain things that living organisms ingest can color them. Have you ever wondered why farm bred salmon are so pink? Food coloration (that's a fact...you can look it up all over the place on the internet). Why are flaminos pink in nature but lose that color in zoos if they are not fed food colorings? Why do babies become orange when they drink tons of carrot juice? The only difference with crustaceans is that the coloration can be permanently stored in their bodies instead of waning as with some other animals. Again, no mystery behind my reasoning. And again, if it's not hereditary then it's not "real." My "blue shrimp" offspring prove it. I don't know how I can explain this any more logically really.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I understand your logic. You don't need to try to pound it through my thick skull. I just don't want it to be true :) . Until I succeed in breeding them and get a 2nd generation of shrimp with no blues, I'll have trouble letting it go. I won't bring it up again until then.
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

Good luck with them....I hope you get blue babies.

This thread has made for interesting reading.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Caught in the act

Post by badflash »

You may want to have the children look away :-D

I just moved a female who droped her eggs without producing any zoes after holding them more than a month back to the main tank. The males greeted her immediately. Looks like the male I had in the tank with them is a dud.

4 or 5 males were all over her and these two seem to have won out.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

badflash wrote:I understand your logic. You don't need to try to pound it through my thick skull. I just don't want it to be true :)
Well, in this case *nobody* can help you. I'll stop the pounding. :-D ;)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I tried something to get the hatch to occur and I think it may have worked. They sure were way overdue to hatch so it seemed they were waiting for something. I reasoned that the shrimp needed a trigger to release the eggs. I figured something like a rain would trigger it as that would assure the flow to sweep the babies to sea in their natural environment.

I did a 50% water change with R/O water and a few hours later- Zoes!
I'll leave them in the maternity ward for a few days to "harden up" and then we'll see what happens.

This time I will feed them just green water for the 1st week or so, then use "golden pearls" of various sizes after that.

This is the limit of what I can do with my camera:
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Thanks badflash for your updates. Beeing a NewBee in the shrimp world, it is nice to know that people will share there experience with others in the hobby and not keep it all to themselves. It will make it that much easier for myself when I can get a few amano's in my tanks and try and breed them.
I love the cherry reds I have , but, a need a little more of a challenge. I am beeing over ran with the little guy's/gals

Thanks again badflash... and all others who share there information.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Here is an odd one. Looks like I'll need to wait a little longer to get zoes from my blue amano. She is actively pulling the eggs off her swimmerlets and is eating them. I guess this explains what happens when you see a few zoes, and the eggs are no where to be seen.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Last night, I noticed that one of my female Caridina multidentata :wink: is carrying eggs.

Last thing I need right now is another project, but I guess I've got one now! :-D

I'll be re-reading all of the breeding reports and getting ready over the next 3 weeks until hatching time.