Baby Ghost Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Yes, Kent Pro-Culture. It is a 2-part mix, so you need both. 1/2ml each per gallon.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

badflash wrote:Yes, Kent Pro-Culture. It is a 2-part mix, so you need both. 1/2ml each per gallon.
thanks a lot
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Shrimpbaby

Have you had any more luck with the Ghost Shrimp.

I use my Ghost Shrimp , to help cycle my tanks.

And one left me a little present.
Here are a couple pictures.

John
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You know, the american ghost/glass shrimp (P. paludosus) is actually one of my most favorite shrimp even though they do not get the respect they deserve in the US, as they are just "native" shrimp and nothing "exotic." Too bad...
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Mustafa
The Ghost/GlassShrimp are very interesting to watch.

Even though they are a larger Shrimp, they do not act aggressive towards the smaller Shrimp.

It was dumb luck, that I had a baby Ghost/Glass Shrimp grow up.
But , now that it happened. I will be setting up a tank just for Breeding them.

John
TEarlywine
Egg
Egg

Ghost shrimp eggs to babies

Post by TEarlywine »

Did not see this asked... New-ish 20 gal. tank. Moderately planted. We are new to ghost shrimp but absolutely fascinated. How long would you estimate between eggs disappearing from under female and us possibly seeing some babies visible in the tank?

We have 2 females and a male (we think), and a couple of plain Corydoras. The largest female GS who had eggs when we brought her home had her eggs disappear the night before last. Our first female GS, who also had eggs in store, had her eggs disappear last night.

We had another female with eggs, and her eggs disappeared 2 days after she was home. We also think she molted that night, and she was dead the day after her eggs disappeared. There was a tiny little goldfish in there at that time, but we've quarantined him as he's developed a couple of skin ulcers.

p.s. we use Slime Coat, Prime, and typical recommended dosage of Aquarium Salt in our tank with the GS
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Warning!!! do not add salt to a tank with Corydoras :!: They are very sensitive to salt and will die :( . I have had this happen in my community tank. Do some water changes to dilute the salt out of the tank. Just wanted to give you the heads up :wink:
TEarlywine
Egg
Egg

re: warning

Post by TEarlywine »

THANKS! I hadn't read that anywhere in the many sites I perused about corys - explains their still very stressed behaviour
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

As for Seeing baby Ghost Shrimp,
After they hatch from the egg, they are larva. Which float in the water colum.
This will depend on the amount of food they can find.
After about 1 week, after they went through there larva stages.
I started seeing little Shrimp.

As for salt for Shrimp, I have never used it, or heard it reccomended in this Forum.

John
TEarlywine
Egg
Egg

re: baby ghost shrimp

Post by TEarlywine »

Newjohn wrote:As for Seeing baby Ghost Shrimp,
After they hatch from the egg, they are larva. Which float in the water colum.
This will depend on the amount of food they can find.
After about 1 week, after they went through there larva stages.
I started seeing little Shrimp.

As for salt for Shrimp, I have never used it, or heard it reccomended in this Forum.

John
Thanks John!
p.s. we added the Aq Salt just as our freshwater aquarium book suggested, not specifically for the Ghosts
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

The female carries the eggs for about a month. If there are any fish in the tank, they will eat every baby. If the eggs just dissapear the die. The ghosts I've hatched took nearly a day for all of them to hatch.

In my try at these the babies cme out of hiding after about a month & a half.
TEarlywine
Egg
Egg

re: host babies

Post by TEarlywine »

badflash wrote:The female carries the eggs for about a month. If there are any fish in the tank, they will eat every baby. If the eggs just dissapear the die. The ghosts I've hatched took nearly a day for all of them to hatch.

In my try at these the babies cme out of hiding after about a month & a half.
Thanks. Sounds like next time we see eggs darken we should put mom in our 2gallon without fish and keep her well fed, and take mom out after the hatch.

So where did the female release the eggs? Were you able to see them hatch? I had assumed mom would hide them when she released them, and that the larvae would initially be almost impossible to see.
TEarlywine
Egg
Egg

It's a baby!

Post by TEarlywine »

Over the weekend I noticed something floating around in the tank, caught by the current, and thought it was a peice of junk... but I swore it looked like a tiny ghost shrimp. It was about 1/8" long and mostly clear. I thought today that I'd see for sure as it was still floating around in the current. I stuck my hand in thinking it might stick to my finger if it was trash. Too my shock it immediately darted away, straight to the left at high speed, and out of sight. I can't believe it. Even more amazing, there's no way he developed in one day, so it must be from our first female with eggs. We called her Big Momma, and she molted over night and the next morning she didn't have any eggs under her. That evening we found she had passed on. I guess it's also possible that the tiny shrimp was in the pet store's GS tank and got poured into our bag by mistake. In either case, he's survived at least a week, if not longer. Pretty amazing. I'm finding I am very addicted to these fascinating creatures.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

They will morph from tail-hanger to shrimp in 5-7 days. If they were still floating they are still larval.
Last edited by badflash on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

That is good news TEarlywine :D Please keep us updated on your new find and any others that might come along!