Shrimp question

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Mark
Egg
Egg

Shrimp question

Post by Mark »

Hello everybody :D

Some shrimps
Needs soft, acidic water to feel well and breed
So ok my pH is near 7, my temperature is approximatively 23°C (73.4°F), and 14 for GH.

I think GH is too high, but what is the better GH to have soft water, and breed shrimps (I have sp. Tiger) ???

Thanks
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

did you read the shrimp varieties section on this site ?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I have seen some people breed acid water species in relatively hard (i.e. medium conductivity/TDS) water. Hence, I would try to just get your water in the acidic range first and see if you have success.

If you are really set on lowering your hardness your only economical option would be to buy a reverse osmosis unit.

And, of course, make sure that you read all the articles here and search the forum. After all, even if you have acidic water but feed your shrimp too much or do something else wrong they will still die....despite the low ph.
Mark
Egg
Egg

Post by Mark »

zapisto wrote:did you read the shrimp varieties section on this site ?
Of course and there is just "Needs soft, acidic water to feel well and breed"

Thank you Mustafa for advices, yes i've read some articles but at anytime i found a value of GH just : soft water :wink:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Mark wrote: Thank you Mustafa for advices, yes i've read some articles but at anytime i found a value of GH just : soft water :wink:
You're welcome. :) I don't like giving GH and KH values since they are not an accurate representation of water parameters. Conductivity/TDS (TDS=Total Dissolved Solids) and ph are much more accurate and useful. I don't ever measure GH and KH anymore. Just ph and conductivity.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Can you post the TDS or Conductivity levels for Bee and Bumblebee that you find good?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

badflash wrote:Can you post the TDS or Conductivity levels for Bee and Bumblebee that you find good?
According to two habitats where Caridina trifasciata occurs conductivity is between 39 and 60 microsiemens/cm. Habitats of the Sri Lanka dwarf shrimp have similar conductivity values. Hence, it's safe to assume that the bees and bumblebees have similar requirements as the above mentioned two acidic water species. My conductivity values in my tanks vary between 110 and 150.
JayD976
Larva
Larva

Post by JayD976 »

here on long island we have generally soft water, so my shrimp tank is soft and neutral to alkaline water that mean they wont breed?
JayD976
Larva
Larva

Post by JayD976 »

it turns out was wrong on we have hard water here i tested it n it was around 150ppm