So what do these look like....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

So what do these look like....

Post by Terran »

They were advertised as Red Cherry Shrimp....

I bought four cause they were too expensive to buy more....

I should be getting my new shrimp soon and I figured if these were the same it would be good to have additional genetic material to mix up with the offspring....

Sorry for teh poor pictures this was the best I could do...they are quite small right now....(about a cm or less)

Even if they arent red cherry I figure it might be a good test to see if the tank is ready for the incoming shrimp....

oh and heres my mutated guppy that Im trying to propigate... :-D

yeah so tell me what you guys think are they red cherry...
Last edited by Terran on Sat May 06, 2006 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Yes, those are red cherry shrimp alright. I see you have some hair algae. Do you do regular water changes? Shrimp are a lot more sensitive to nitrates and phosphates and other stuff than fish. A 10%-20% water change per week is the minimum.

Good luck with them!
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

badflash wrote:Yes, those are red cherry shrimp alright. I see you have some hair algae. Do you do regular water changes? Shrimp are a lot more sensitive to nitrates and phosphates and other stuff than fish. A 10%-20% water change per week is the minimum.

Good luck with them!
They are a bit less than a cm long...

Oh that guppy is in a different tank...but there is a bit of hair algae in the tank with the shrimp.... :shock: ....I hope its not a huge issue....I just added them to the tank an hour ago....and they seem to be okay so far....their not panicing and just milling about grazing....

Gah I hope all my shrimp dont die before they get acclimated....I dont want to do a water change till at least theyve hung out in the tank for a week...
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I'm not saying hair algae will hurt them, it is just the things that lead to hair algae tend to be things harmful to shrimp. If you have not been doing routine weekly water changes, you need to start right away.
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

badflash wrote:I'm not saying hair algae will hurt them, it is just the things that lead to hair algae tend to be things harmful to shrimp. If you have not been doing routine weekly water changes, you need to start right away.
Im definitely going to start....But I wanted to wait for the shrimp to be settled in the tank for a week or so before I started the changes....because I figured that doing changes now while they are jsut introduced to the tank may be more harmful than waiting till they are acclimated...
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

I would be more worried about acclimating your Shrimp to poor water conditions, than doing several small water changes over the next week.

Just My Thoughts
John