my adult red cherries not mating~

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

tzenlip
Egg
Egg

my adult red cherries not mating~

Post by tzenlip »

Its been a long time... i havent seen any eggs on my female shrimps :(
i have 3 male and 3 females cherry shrimps, the water PH around 7.5 and water temperature around 28c - 20c .. fully planted with plants. what could be the reason behind they not breeding. and how to make them mate?
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: my adult red cherries not mating~

Post by Ecir »

tzenlip wrote:Its been a long time... i havent seen any eggs on my female shrimps :(
i have 3 male and 3 females cherry shrimps, the water PH around 7.5 and water temperature around 28c - 20c .. fully planted with plants. what could be the reason behind they not breeding. and how to make them mate?
Maybe it's something in the water other then the PH or temp, do you use ferts on your plants?

Ecir
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Stop fertilizing your plants and do several 50% water changes to reduce nitrates and phosphate to <2ppm. By my personal experience I can tell you that this will prevent egg production in most fresh water shrimp.

Once you get a good population of shrimp, their bio load will provide all the nutrients your plants will need.

Check your water supply as well as some water comes pre-polluted. I know many big cities in the mid-west are like that. If you are using chemical buffers be sure it is phosphate free. If it doesn't say phosphate free, it is loaded with phosphates.

Be sure to do a minimum of a 20% water change weekly.
bulrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bulrush »

Define "long time". If it's been 3 weeks and the shrimp are still juveniles they will not produce eggs. Adult female RCS start producing eggs when they are about 3/4 inch long. First they will get a light colored, or tan, "saddle" on their back. This is their ovaries filled with eggs. Then the eggs will come out in about 10-14 days and will cling to their swimmerettes.