Awsome/Concerned

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Awsome/Concerned

Post by Terran »

I was not really sure which forum to put this in since it includes both Crayfish and shrimp stuff...but chose to put it in shrimp because the "concerned part" was shrimp related..

[Awsome Part of the Post]
A while back I ordered five Cambarellus shufeldtii from the Petshrimp store....

They grew ridiculously fast seemingly growing faster than my RCS which were in the same 29 gallon tank...
I recieved them like around May 25 and they were sooo tiny and since then they are already full grown and carrying eggs...

Now it turns out that of the five Cambarellus shufeldtii four were females and one was a male....and now all four females have been carrying eggs for a week so far...so hopefully Im about to be overun with those little Cajun guys (I think they are soo awsome)...

[Concerned Part]
The only thing Im worried about now is the the RCS that I have been keeping in the same tank with the Cajun's have carried twice and dropped twice after like three days(I received them like around may 6th or so)...So Im not particularly worried about the Cajuns since theyve already carried for a week without dropping them...

I am a bit worried about RCS and why they are dropping their eggs...

The shrimp appear to eat ok (though some are still ridiculously small even after all this time)...Ive tried cooked dandelions, spinach, and algae tablets each with limited success...

So I dont really know if its a food issue.

And the only thing water condition wise that seemed a probelm was that the pH was slightly lower than I wouldve liked it (though still within the acceptable ranges posted on this site) around 6.6... My other tanks in the house have higher a pH So I removed my drift wood in case this was a potential cause of the lower pH and did a water change...
Then I realized that Im out of testing strips...lol...I need to go get myself one of those electric ones lol....

So there are two RCS carrying eggs for like two days now....I hope they make it past that three day mark I was having trouble with

And my Cambarellus shufeldtii are like 8 or so days into carrying eggs...looking forward to seeing bunches of them and adding them to other tanks in my house...
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I've never tried RCS in pH that low. For sure they do better in alkaline hard water. I keep mine at pH 7.6 and my water is hard as nails.

I do know that nitrates or phosphates >5ppm will cause eggs to drop, and will inhibit production over time. Are you sure you have a male in there? No males will do it too.
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Awsome/Concerned

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

Terran wrote:I was not really sure which forum to put this in since it includes both Crayfish and shrimp stuff...but chose to put it in shrimp because the "concerned part" was shrimp related.....
You could have posted the happy news about the crays in the cray section and the shrimp concern in this section? :wink:
[Awsome Part of the Post]
A while back I ordered five Cambarellus shufeldtii from the Petshrimp store....

They grew ridiculously fast seemingly growing faster than my RCS which were in the same 29 gallon tank...
I recieved them like around May 25 and they were sooo tiny and since then they are already full grown and carrying eggs...

Now it turns out that of the five Cambarellus shufeldtii four were females and one was a male....and now all four females have been carrying eggs for a week so far...so hopefully Im about to be overun with those little Cajun guys (I think they are soo awsome)...
Congrats. :D
[Concerned Part]
The only thing Im worried about now is the the RCS that I have been keeping in the same tank with the Cajun's have carried twice and dropped twice after like three days(I received them like around may 6th or so)...So Im not particularly worried about the Cajuns since theyve already carried for a week without dropping them...

I am a bit worried about RCS and why they are dropping their eggs...

The shrimp appear to eat ok (though some are still ridiculously small even after all this time)...Ive tried cooked dandelions, spinach, and algae tablets each with limited success...

So I dont really know if its a food issue.

And the only thing water condition wise that seemed a probelm was that the pH was slightly lower than I wouldve liked it (though still within the acceptable ranges posted on this site) around 6.6... My other tanks in the house have higher a pH So I removed my drift wood in case this was a potential cause of the lower pH and did a water change...
Then I realized that Im out of testing strips...lol...I need to go get myself one of those electric ones lol....

So there are two RCS carrying eggs for like two days now....I hope they make it past that three day mark I was having trouble with

And my Cambarellus shufeldtii are like 8 or so days into carrying eggs...looking forward to seeing bunches of them and adding them to other tanks in my house...
According to the info regarding water parameters in the Shrimp Varieties page (on the left) it says:

"Can live under conditions that are soft and slightly acidic (ph 6.6-7.0) to very hard and alkaline (ph 7.0-8.4 and above). Very adaptable shrimp. Is most productive and does best in soft to medium hard water with a ph in the alkaline range. Might not reproduce at all in water that is too acidic."

There's other reasons for your shrimp not reproducing like having all female shrimp, high nitrates, too young to breed etc. If you do a search for cherry shrimp eggs you might find more info to help you out.

Good luck with them....I have a berried RCS and was so relieved when she kept them.
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

badflash wrote:I've never tried RCS in pH that low. For sure they do better in alkaline hard water. I keep mine at pH 7.6 and my water is hard as nails.

I do know that nitrates or phosphates >5ppm will cause eggs to drop, and will inhibit production over time. Are you sure you have a male in there? No males will do it too.
The Nitrates and phosphates arent the probelm...and there are definitely males in the tank...

But I mentioned that some of the shrimp are very small and do not seem to be growing at all...it seems as if the males are especially small(I know they are smaller than females) and I had wondered if they had reached maturity yet....

The males should be mature by now but they just do not seem to want to grow...the largest male is like 1.5cm and I got like at least three females that are huge like at least 3cm...

Then again I do not know if male maturity is the probelm or not :)...but yeah there are males in the tank...

Im leaning towards the pH just making it slightly difficult for them to breed as possibility number 1 and too young/immature males being possibility number 2
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I have also noticed that my young female RCS often drop their first set of eggs even in water conditions in which older more experienced females are breeding consistently.

My optimistic opinion would wait another month and see if they do better next time. :D
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

I have kept RCS in ph below that and the breed like crazy.
Are you sure they are dropping the eggs? Have you seen the eggs drop?
Do you have the same quantities of shrimp since the time you bough them? Depending on how much plant syou have in there with them, it will take probably a few weeks to tell if they are little shrimps in there.

Cheers,
pedro