Why has my ghost shrimp turned blue?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jayman
Egg
Egg

Why has my ghost shrimp turned blue?

Post by jayman »

I bought three ghost shrimps with eggs hoping to get some babys. None of them actually had any. I have had them for about 3 months and just last week one started to turn blue. She is still clear but has alot of blue on her shell. I am a member of another fish forum and I am having a bit of trouble figureing out this oddity. Someone pointed me in this direction. I am not exactly sure how to upload a pic but I do have a few. Maybe someone can help me out with that. Thank you for any help.
Jay.
theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by theshrimp_123 »

Kind of whitish-blue? This could mean a sick shrimp.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

You said the female is clear right? How is its behavior, is it eating and active? When they turn whitish it usually means illness but clear blue is new to me.
Beansly
Egg
Egg

Post by Beansly »

I've seen the pictures on Petfish, it doesn't look sick white/blue, it looks like it's just blue. It's weird.
ShrimpFan
Larva
Larva

Post by ShrimpFan »

My ghost shrimp recently developed some blue on her exoskeleton within the last month. It's not white at all, just a clear shell with dark blue on it. At first I thought it was some kind of parasitic algae or mold, but the ghost is still alive and well and just gave birth to her larvae today, so I'm assuming she's healthy. I have no idea what's causing the blue, though. It looks like a pigment in her shell because when I look closely, she actually has tiny blue spots all over her, giving her the coloration.
shrimpbaby
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpbaby »

Some of my shrimp seem to have a bluish color to them as well. I've been keeping/breeding ghost shrimp for almost a year now and I'm building up a good colony of them. Sometimes some of them seem to have blue on their exoskeleton as well and they are not cloudy and they do not appear sick. Some of my juvies that I have raised are starting to get this coloration as well. I have no idea what it is or what it means.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

shrimpbaby wrote: Some of my juvies that I have raised are starting to get this coloration as well.
Sounds to be a genetic thing, in that case. Congrats! You guys have found a new strain of ghost shrimp! :lol:

My ghost shrimp (especially the older ones) have red dots and tips of antennae. I want me a blue one.