Vancouver Island Crayfish?? (British Colombia, Canada)

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Vancouver Island Crayfish?? (British Colombia, Canada)

Post by TKD »

Hi everyone,

I was curious to find out the names and types of crayfish that are found on Vancouver Island. I have seen them in Sproat and Cameron Lake.

The only info I was able to find was this site, but it seems to be mainly for US/the mainland.

http://iz.carnegiemnh.org/crayfish/country_pages/bc.htm

Do we have the same species here or other others?

I have seen people keeping them as pets too.

Thanks,

TKD
theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by theshrimp_123 »

Try broadening your search. I couldn't find anything specific, but if you maybe search for mainland crays, you might get something. Also maybe ask your local fish and wildlife service. I know (at least in the Illinois) there is list of crustacean species. Maybe you can find something similar.
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Pacifastacus are the only species of crayfish found in all of BC. Its most likely a Pacifastacus leniusculus leniusculus (Signal Crayfish).
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Does it stay a brown color or does it get an orange tinge carapace and yellow tinge claws? I have seen both types. Maybe one is introduced.

Thanks,

TKD
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

Nope no introduced species in BC. None would survive against the natives. They are very aggressive.

All the species in BC can come in a variety of colors depending on enviroment.
GaNgStA123
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by GaNgStA123 »

where can you caught them??? i would love to

BUT i live in the cities burnaby
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

See above lakes.

TKD
GaNgStA123
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by GaNgStA123 »

that only tells u wut type are able to be caught BUT not where u can catch.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

I have seen them in Sproat and Cameron Lake.
Those lakes...

The ones that I saw look to be to different kinds; on guy in my biology class even caught one in a stream. Who know though they could be a juvi and an adult... how big are they supposed to get?

TKD
CanadianCray
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by CanadianCray »

This family of crayfish can get very large. That is why they are used world over as a food source & farmed.
wildbill
Egg
Egg

Re: Vancouver Island Crayfish?? (British Colombia, Canada)

Post by wildbill »

They are called signal crayfish. Almost all streams and rivers on south to mid Vancouver Island have a few, also some of the lakes. (most of the deeper lakes have them). Larger rivers with salmon runs like the Cowichan and Campbell have lots. They are considered sport fish, and harvest is regulated though not many here eat them really. (we have salt water prawn as big and much tastier so) I used to gather them in the Campbell river during the pink salmon run, it was easy to get a limit of large ones (60 I think it was then) with a mask snorkel and mesh bag.
They get up to about 8" tho most are closer to 4" or so. I have kept them as a kid and I`m thinking of putting a 1" juvi in my Amano shrimp/mixed Tetra tank. They can catch and kill fish, (both in the wild and in tanks) tho not real proficient at it. They are slow moveing and don`t swim much unless frightened, where as the Amanos are fast and quite aware of thier surroundings. I want to start a small one, smaller than my Amano shrimps...and see if they can stay out of reach of it. I know it will likely kill the odd sleeping tetra.(the crayfish in wild are mostly nocturnal, and they killed a few guppies at night when I had them before. Those where 4" adults though) I know from experience that they can tolerate quite warm water. They are carnivores and will scavange any meat/insects etc. and where quite easy to keep. I fed them liver and earth worms as a kid...same bait we used to catch them with from the Cowichan, in the warm water little pools below high water near Skutz Falls. We even caught them on fly rods by dangling wieghted flies in front of them with no bait at all...they are sight hunters it seems and will invetigate movement even during daylight hours. They will fight each other if crowded and large one will kill the smaller ones in the wild..though I don`t think they eat them. It is common to see 20 or more large ones on a dead salmon in the Campbell river during the day light, when food is every where.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Vancouver Island Crayfish?? (British Colombia, Canada)

Post by Mustafa »

Just wanted to add that the signal crayfish has become a *very* invasive species in northern Europe and Japan, where it is proving to be a much better competitor than the native crayfish (and a carrier of the crayfish plague). They were introduced so people can catch and eat them, but then things just went out of control...now these guys are everywhere.