What goes with Cherries

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

BriMcg
Egg
Egg

What goes with Cherries

Post by BriMcg »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to shrimps, and have a quick question. I will have a number of cherries in a 30g and wanted to put two species in the tank. I thought the green shrimp would go nicely, but no luck in finding them. What other species would co-exist with cherries without getting frisky with them? :twisted:

Tap water in Houston is naturally 8+ ph and hard as a rock, so I was trying to stay away from soft water/low ph species. I have some crystals in a planted tank that I keep at 6.9, but that is with CO2 (I keep an eye on them to make sure I'm doing no harm - they seem happy).

Your advice would be appreciated!!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi and welcome!

I suggest reading the water parameter sections of the shrimp descriptions on my shrimp varities page:

http://www.petshrimp.com/shrimpspecies.html

Since you are new, if you haven't already, just read over the articles section and just perform some searches in this forum to find answers to your questions. You should also go over the "Rules" section in the forum for future reference.

Happy shrimp keeping!
bulrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bulrush »

I think part of your question was about interspecies breeding. Perhaps Mustafa would know which other speces cherry red shrimp can breed with.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's all on the shrimp varieties pages. If it does not say that a certain shrimp species interbreeds with others, it can't in my experience.
BriMcg
Egg
Egg

Post by BriMcg »

Thanks for the responses...

I've had no luck finding the green shrimp for sale, but I'm still trying to find a species out there that could thrive in hard water.

I've heard conflicting reports about the "Hong Kong Bumblebee." This site (which I trust) notes that this is a soft water/low ph lover. However, I have seen the exact opposite on a breeder site.

Has anyone bred these shrimp in 7.5 - 7.8, medium hardness aquariums.

Unfortunately, the water is so hard here that a 4:1 ratio of RO and Houston tap produces the above water conditions.

Thanks for the advice!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

BriMcg wrote:I've heard conflicting reports about the "Hong Kong Bumblebee." This site (which I trust) notes that this is a soft water/low ph lover. However, I have seen the exact opposite on a breeder site.
I'm pretty sure I know what site you mean. He does not breed those shrimp. He buys imported bumblebees and sells them. So, he might not be all that aware of the exact breeding requirements. As far as I know there are no breeder websites for bumblebees in the US. All the bumblebees that you see offered for sale in North America at this point are imported/wild-caught.
Has anyone bred these shrimp in 7.5 - 7.8, medium hardness aquariums.
Nope, and it's most likely not going to happen with ph values that high. Even if the adults survive, most, if not all, of the young will perish. That's been my experience.
Unfortunately, the water is so hard here that a 4:1 ratio of RO and Houston tap produces the above water conditions.
Do me a favor and search the forum for "bumblebee", "acidic" and similar keywords as this exact topic has been discussed at great length before.