Water lily leaves?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Water lily leaves?

Post by ToddnBecka »

It occured to me, after reading some of the posts concerning cherry shrimp and leaves. I have a small pond in the back yard, loaded with water lilies. I was wondering whether a dead and decaying leaf from one would be suitable food material? Would there be any harm in trying a small piece?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I think it would be like any other decaying plant matter which some animals will eat and others will not. Also, if not eaten it might just be polluting the water. With dry leaves, you are actually cultivating microorganisms which the shrmp feed off of. If you try the lilies and let us know if it works out.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I'll try a small piece, and see if it collects shrimp. Will pick up some oak leaves as well, at least we know they're good. :lol:
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I dropped in a piece about 2.5" square, well-decayed in the pond. In a few minutes it was covered with shrimp, like ants at a picnic. :lol: It also seems to have stirred up quite a bit of activity. There are more shrimp than usual swimming around actively. Maybe the scent whet their appetites?
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

ToddnBecka wrote:I dropped in a piece about 2.5" square, well-decayed in the pond. In a few minutes it was covered with shrimp, like ants at a picnic. :lol: It also seems to have stirred up quite a bit of activity. There are more shrimp than usual swimming around actively. Maybe the scent whet their appetites?
If it was in the pond decaying there is likely tons of microorganisms all over the leaves....so it may be a combination of the shrimp eating the soft plant material and the animals attached to the plant....
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

They have completely consumed the smaller piece in 8 hours, and have made a good start on a larger piece.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Toddnbecka

Thank You for the information.

It is that time of the year, atleast in these parts.
For the pond season to come to a end.

I guess I will have to try it.
I know enough people with Ponds. And I am sure they will like the help,
Cleaning out the Ponds.

And give it another month or so, and I will have enough Oak leaves to last a long time.

John
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

ToddnBecka wrote:They have completely consumed the smaller piece in 8 hours, and have made a good start on a larger piece.
:shock: All gone! Looks like they really liked it. How many shrimp did it take to finish it off?

Thanks.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

The surface was covered with shrimp soon after it was placed in the tank. After they ate their fill, the ramshorns moved in for a turn, then more shrimp finished it off. :lol:
The larger piece was an entire leaf, about 4" diameter. It was a bit less decayed than the smaller piece, but has been thinned down quite a bit. I haven't seen such enthuiasm for any of the flakes or pellets I feed once daily. Apparently they really prefer natural food. I'm curious to see how they will react to oak leaves, the next new item on their menu.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Sounds like how my shrimp react to boiled dandelion.