Caridina multidentata?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

crazie.eddie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Caridina multidentata?

Post by crazie.eddie »

When I bought this before, the tank was marked as algae eating shrimp. Seeing from the large size, they had assumed it was a Caridina multidentata. I want to make sure it's ID'd correctly...

It's probably about 3.5 - 5cm.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

That is not an Amano shrimp, unless someone painted it black with a white stripe down its back :? ! Whatever type of shrimp it is, it is not a Caridina multidentata (Amano shrimp).
crazie.eddie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crazie.eddie »

When I originally bought it along with 2 others, it was sort of red, but more clear. They all stay in hiding most of the time and appeared to take on a darker brown color.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Nice shrimp, but definitley not an Amano. Do you have more than one? See if you can get a better picture. Any have eggs?
crazie.eddie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crazie.eddie »

I first bought one to see if it would survive in my tank parameters. After a month, I bought 3 more. Strangely, one disappeared, so I still have 3 remaining. They all hide under the wood, barely go out in the open, compared to the Atyopsis moluccensis and my CRS, so it's hard to get a shot of them. This was the best shot I could take, so I can't tell if any have eggs or not.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

I like the Looks of the Shrimp.

If I would have seen those in a LPS. I would have bought them all .
And ask for more.

The LPS around here only have Amano's, And the RCS I bring in.
And once in a while Filter Feeders, Ghost

John
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I agree with you Newjohn. I would have bought them too since it is so difficult to find a pet store that carries any shrimp other than the ones you mentioned. But once you find a store that does it is a gold mine the difference is you are paying them :? !
crazie.eddie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crazie.eddie »

I got the shrimp at Aquarium Adventure. It was sort of expensive, I believe about $4 a shrimp, especially for them being my first real shrimp. I didn't want to buy allot and have them all die, which is why I intended to buy so few. I may go buy some more, it's just the store is rather far.

The only thing is, since it's not an Amano shrimp, I need to correctly ID it, since I plan to move all my shrimp and otos to a L-046 zebra pleco breeding tank. I don't want to find out it's some kind of carnivore eating all the pleco eggs and fry.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

crazie.eddie wrote:The only thing is, since it's not an Amano shrimp, I need to correctly ID it, since I plan to move all my shrimp and otos to a L-046 zebra pleco breeding tank. I don't want to find out it's some kind of carnivore eating all the pleco eggs and fry.
That isn't an agressive shrimp. The eggs will be safe. Male plecos protect the eggs anyway, but your shrimp is no threat.
crazie.eddie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crazie.eddie »

Here's another photo of the shrimp. Not sure if it's the same guy as previous photo.

Here's one with it's buddy...

Sorry for the bad shot, they were under the wood, so I had to use the flash.

Just want to make sure it gets ID'd properly.
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

Have you seen them eating at all? Does it pick food up or filter it? It's very similar in color and patern to a Bamboo shrimp I have but I have no idea what you have. Nice shrimp though!

Ecir
crazie.eddie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crazie.eddie »

I never seen them eating, though I'm sure they do, since I've had them for over 5 months and they have gotten allot bigger since then. I have Bamboo's as well and those guys are usually out in the open, but the one's I have pictured stay to themselves. Plus the ones pictures don't appear to have fans, like a filter feeder does.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Those aren't bamboo shrimp. They look like shrimp species from India or vicinity. Plus, the shrimp in the first picture might actually be a different variety from the other shrimp. It has a very distinctive pattern on its back, different coloration and I seem to recognize a slightly different body shape, too. I wouldn't be surprised if you had different species as many shipments of shrimp come in "contaminated" with all kinds of species.

Also...you don't seem to have any males in your pictures...unfortunately.
crazie.eddie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crazie.eddie »

They do look similar to Neocaridina cf. zhangjiajiensis, if it wasn't for the size (mine are about 5cm).

frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

I had a trio of shrimp that looked very similiar to these. The male was much smaller than the females and was void of any coloring. The females were a very nice cholcolate brown with a cream stripe down the back and a very distinct patterning. These shrimp hid all day, but were very active at night.