Color in Cherries

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Color in Cherries

Post by lampeye »

Okay, "mood and food" make a difference in the red color of cherry red shrimp (why can't we just call them cherry shrimp so as to avoid confusion with CRS?), but does anyone know for sure: Are we dealing with a carotenoid pigment in the shrimp, or is the mutation simply producing a defective version of melanin? In simpler terms, does feeding a carotenoid-rich food enhance the red color of cherry shrimp?
Cableguy
Larva
Larva

Post by Cableguy »

what kinds of foods would be rich enough to promote it if it was because of the caratene?
lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

There are a number of commercial foods with color enhancers added, and a number of vegetables contain high amounts of carotenoids.

I'll take the deafening silence as a big ol' "I dunno." :)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi lampeye and hi Cableguy, welcome to the forum :) I have used the color enhanced fish food with little or no improvement in my Cherry red shrimp. This may be because the foods are gear towards fish which have a different color process. I have seen the shrimp become darker red when the females are carrying eggs! So far I have not found a food that will increase the color of my shrimp but I have tried different environmental changes which seem to increase or drcrease color intensity. These include changes in lighting, substrates and water temp/pH. I made these changes in pursuit of finding the optimum conditions for healthy and active shrimp.

If you find something that really works in improving coloration in shrimp please share as I will do the same. Please keep us updated on your search/findings :wink:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Here is an old thread that might be useful:

viewtopic.php?t=556&highlight
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Color in Cherries

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hi Lampeye, just wanted to welcome you to the forum. :)

Sent some opinions your way via pm.

-GB
Last edited by GunmetalBlue on Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Let me summarize :o
A happy RCS is a red shrimp!
lampeye
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by lampeye »

I appreciate the responses, and thanks for the big welcome!