Cherries in an unfiltered tank?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

T
<b>BANNED</b>

Cherries in an unfiltered tank?

Post by T »

Hi first post, nice site you got here!!

I got some cherries(and a few blue ones, they are just a colour morph yes?)and they hide most of the time.I'm sure its because of my community fish as I have tried keeping 2 in a large jug on my windowsill and they are very active.So what I was thinking is my girlfriend is giving me her old apple snail tank(anyone in Scotland need apple snails?) thats long(10 gal long)and have it sitting on my windowsill with one of those hagen co2 thingies and lots of java moss.I will also sit several well established lucky bamboos and mangrove pods in there.What I want to know is would I be able to keep say 6 or so red cherries in there.I dont want to use a filter but I would feed lightly and do several small waterchanges a week.

Thanks

T
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

You really should get some sort of simple, small filter. Most people here use the very inexpensive sponge filters that run off of an air pump.

The good news for your shrimp is that they are out of the fish tank and will soon be out of the jug which is too small. :D
T
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by T »

Thanks for the advice, I wanted to avoid using filters/heaters etc if at all possible as I already run 4 large tanks but I suppose a small filter wouldnt be too much on the electricty bill.

How many shrimps could I safely keep in the tank?

Btw the jug is at least 3 gallons with just the 2 shrimps and a couple of mts, I have been monitoring the water quality regularly and its been fine but should that change I will remove them immidiatley.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

A sponge filter uses air to operate, so not much power required. Blues are not a color morph of cherries as far as I know. You may have some of those Neocaridina sp. "blue" that don't breed blue shrimp.

3 gallons can support more shrimp, but the water parameters in a small system can go bad really quick. A 10 gallon is recommended. and would support lots of shrimp.

A 50% weekly water change is recommended.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I have at least 100 shrimp in my 10 gallon tanks. Once they start breeding, they fill the tank quickly up to the point where food limits the population.

Good advice above about water changes and such.

In general you won't need a heater if you keep your room warm enough. These shrimp are fine in a wide range of temperatures, although reproduction is slowed at low temps.
T
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by T »

Thanks for the info, the reason I would rather not have a sponge filter is that its my bedroom and they are very noisey(had one in my fry tank that I just changed for a small powerhead attatched to a quick filter and the difference is huge).Would a fluval 1 internal be ok provided I do frequent small waterchanges?The temp should stay about room temp would that be ok?

The shrimp I got from ebay and the seller said the blues were a colour morph.They are a bit larger than the cherries but then again some of the cherries are not far off.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I use sponges to cover the intake of HOB type filters. I'm simply very comfortable with the operation of these filters and so I stick with what I know. For silent operation, maybe this would be a good option for you?

I use the cheap Aquaclear filters, but I oversize them to account for flow loss through a dirty sponge covering the intake. an AC-50 works great in a 10 gallon tank because the flow rate can be set very low initially and increased as the sponge gets dirty.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

T wrote:The shrimp I got from ebay and the seller said the blues were a colour morph.They are a bit larger than the cherries but then again some of the cherries are not far off.
Check the shrimp varieties page. Same genus, but different species, unless this is something new.
T
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by T »

YuccaPatrol wrote:I use sponges to cover the intake of HOB type filters. I'm simply very comfortable with the operation of these filters and so I stick with what I know. For silent operation, maybe this would be a good option for you?

I use the cheap Aquaclear filters, but I oversize them to account for flow loss through a dirty sponge covering the intake. an AC-50 works great in a 10 gallon tank because the flow rate can be set very low initially and increased as the sponge gets dirty.
I'm in the UK so we dont tend to get these kind of filters.I know the little fluvals are silent and safe with very small fish but might suck in baby shrimp(there were some tiny babies in with the adults when I got them).

I can get a decent pic of the blue shrimp if you want.
bochr
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bochr »

Yes please post a pic of the blue shrimps.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Welcome T :D ,

First, you can put a fine mess net or stocking over the intake openings of the fluval filter to keep the babies safe. Second, it is great to meet a member from Scottland as you can share with us the "shrimp news and trends" happening in your area of the world :wink:
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

If you're keeping bn plecs or ottos with the shrimp they can get caught on stockings/tights/nylons....I lost an otto this way.

Is your gf a member (named Celticcraftress) on a uk based snail site?

After lots of messing about with various ways to cover my filters i've decided to go for a sponge filter for my berried tigers. That tank is also in the bedroom and I doubt hubby will be pleased when he sees it set up. :lol:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I did not mention covering the filter with a sponge because the Fluval 1 internal filter does not have a tube shaped intake but instead are slits at the bottom of the unit :wink: I do agree with Shrimp&Snails that fish with with spiney fins might get caught on the coverings.
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

Welcome to the forum! :-)

Yes, pics of the blue shrimp would be awsome.

-John
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

T wrote: I'm in the UK so we dont tend to get these kind of filters.
Hi T,

Nice to have someone else here in the U.K.

Eheim Liberty hang on filters are available here in the UK. All you need is a small sponge to cover the intake. Again these are near silent running.

Good luck