Redder than red RCS

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

crazie.eddie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Redder than red RCS

Post by crazie.eddie »

I started feeding my RCS FBW (frozen blood worms) more often. Recently, I noticed that my shrimp are redder than red. Prior to that, I only fed them fish flakes, algae flakes, spirulina discs, and some mulm from a tank I just threw in some plants to see if they would grow. I would occassionally throw in FBW, but maybe once a week or so, but recently, I've been doing it almost every other day or so. The redness of the RCS appeared to be very bright red. I'm not sure if it's the red from the FBW or it's more nutritious or what. But I just wondered if anyone else have noticed anything similar to there redness when feeding FBW more.
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

The temperature of my country is getting lower recently and I notice that my Crystal Red is getting redder together with a lowering temperature.
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Addition:

I only give them dried fish food and java moss and some other water grass.
crazie.eddie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crazie.eddie »

I'm not sure if it's the temp. I have 2 tanks with RCS. The main shrimp tank is kept at 79°F (26°C), the other tank, which I have L-046 Zebra plecos and some RCS are kept at 82°F (28°C). Zebra plecos prefer warmer waters. In both tanks, the RCS appear to be redder than red. I use the same foods on both tanks, but just happen to feed a little extra (shrimp pellets, hikari sinking carinovore pellets, etc.) on the Zebra pleco.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It's looking like it is many factors that contribute to better coloration of shrimp. Environmental (Temp) and feeding (type/amount) seem to be key in both your tanks. Thanks for sharing your information.
Gregor Samsa Mendel
Larva
Larva

Post by Gregor Samsa Mendel »

Water quality seems to be a factor with my shrimp--the lower the nitrate level, the redder the shrimp.

It has often been mentioned that shrimp in a "good mood" are redder. I just try and keep mine healthy and stress-free. :D