Yellow shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

cro117
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Yellow shrimp

Post by cro117 »

Hi, I saw a topic with this same subject which was closed, I suppose because the author was inquiring about purchasing, but I would like to know more about them. "yellow" is not very specific when starting a search. I have heard that yellow betas are really red betas that lack the red. Are these shrimp a mutation of a cherry?
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I'd like to know more about the yellow shrimp, too.

Yellow bettas are red because they are a red betta that have a contradicting non-red gene, which is dominant over the red.
cro117
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by cro117 »

I thought the non-red gene was recessive. Non the less, I was just wondering if this could occur in other species, like albinism does. Though, I don't believe albinism occur in invertebrates, so it may be moot anyways.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Eh...could be recessive. I forget. lol It's been awhile since I've discussed betta genes.

BUT...This is a shrimp forum. lol

So...How 'bout it? What's up with the yellow shrimp? Inquiring minds want to know!
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

yellow shrimp is a neocaridina. It probably is a morph of the wild cherry shrimp which exhibits different colors. Is hard to speculate if it is a gene or not without having them or study them.

-Pedro
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the information Pedro. At least we know what species it is and from there we can find out more :-)
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

cro117: Lookie at what's recently been posted:
viewtopic.php?t=2254
cro117
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by cro117 »

:shock: Thanks for the link. It does seem to be a color variation of a cherry, or, at the very least, a similar species. Hopefully they will hit the US hobby soon, but I won't hold my breath. The shrimp I would really like to see would be a S grade green crystal shrimp with the same colors as a green tree python. Can someone get started on that. :wink:
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

LOL If I had the $$$ to have some imported, I'd get started at different shrimp colonies. But, I just coughed up nearly $200 to upgrade my 30 gallon long planted tank. :shock: Maybe when I sell some more stuff, I'll start importing color mutations and what not and get some colonies going, but not right now. :twisted:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

The best things come from ideas and dreams. The more we have the better the chances that some will come to life :D
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

cro117 wrote:he shrimp I would really like to see would be a S grade green crystal shrimp with the same colors as a green tree python. Can someone get started on that. :wink:
Well, I am working on official licensing with the NFL, NCAA, NBA, and MLB. Once that is in place I'll be offering designer shrimp in all of your favorite team and school colors. That green and white shrimp you desire will soon be known as the NY Jets shrimp. . . . :lol:

But seriously, it is going to be very neat to see what happens over the next decade or so in this hobby.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

But seriously, it is going to be very neat to see what happens over the next decade or so in this hobby.
Yucca, for a moment there I thought you were serious then I saw your last statement :cry: ! But yes the future is bright and full of possibilities for this hobby of ours :D :-D :!:
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by zwergkrebszuechter »

genetic engineering on shrimp? :-D
Pea-brain
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pea-brain »

zwergkrebszuechter wrote:genetic engineering on shrimp? :-D
Other people would probly not like that idea, wanting to keep pure strains of shrimp in the market. I would like to say that gloshrimp would be pretty damn cool. Like glofish except shrimp. If they could do it to monkeys they could do it to shrimp. The only problem would be getting eggs injected with the jellyfish DNA because they are attached to the shrimp. But that wouldn't be too big a problem as long as the eggs taken are put near moving water, right? And think of all the glowing species! Glowing RCS, Glowing CRS, Glowing tigers, Glowing Macros, Glowing Red nose shrimp (If they can breed them). And the glowing gene will continue to show up in the offspring. I'm pretty sure it is a dominant trait. :-D 1 Glowing shrimp to your shrimp population could result in batches of glowing shrimp (the glowing might be weaker though. Don't know much about genetics.)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

:shock: Sounds neat but scary! I will stick with selective breeding of genetic variations for now :wink: