Great shrimp meeting - warning: many pictures

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Great shrimp meeting - warning: many pictures

Post by zwergkrebszuechter »

Last weekend I called in a great shrimp meeting. Many species came readily only some did choose not show up or only in small numbers.

red cherries

yellow shrimp

snowballs

blue pearl shrimp

bumblebees

desmaresti shrimp - see the amazing variety of colors

green babaulti

Indian zebras - wild strain

babaulti from Malaya

blue tigers - only 3 came. You can see the color increasing with the size of the shrimp. The shrimp on the right is a young shrimp, about 1cm. The left shrimp is a berried female. It is so blue it appears almost black.

Caridina serratiostris

a new shrimp morph, I will try to breed a stable strain from. Any suggestions for name?

YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

What an awesome collection you have! And I really like the blue ramshorns a lot too!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Nice shrimp. :) As for your orange shrimp...they are most likely the same as the shrimp I have been selectively breeding since the beginning of this year from my wild N. cf. zhangjiajiensis. I call them "orange neon shrimp." You can read about it here:

viewtopic.php?t=1591&highlight=neon

There you can see some nice pictures and also see some other serious or funny suggestions of names for these shrimp.

During a "big disaster" in my shrimp room over the summer I had lost all but 3 of these shrimp, including my most intensely colored ones. However, now I already have over 50-60 shrimp and I am in the process of selecting out the most intensely colored orange shrimp from the bunch. Selective breeding sure takes a long time.....
Last edited by Mustafa on Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Darn it! I wish I were still in Germany!!!! I wish I would have known about the shrimp hobby 1.5 years ago!!!!!!
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Man I need to get my own house :(

GREAT JOB :!:

TKD
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Never mind, I read the thread and found the reson for the big death.

TKD
Pea-brain
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pea-brain »

Mustafa's orange shrimp look pretty scary. I hope you can get some more to look like that....If you do It would make a great shrimp during Haloween. :twisted: Lots O' luck!
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

beautiful!!!!!!!!! :-D I want to see more :!:
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

Beautiful pics of an awesome collection. 8) I'd be tempted to trade in my fish for those :!:
What species are the yellow shrimp bred from?
The cherry's are some of the best I've ever seen, and I particularly like the blue tigers, but they're all great.
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by zwergkrebszuechter »

Being in Germany does not necessarily mean you can buy all these shrimp. The rare species can often not just be bought in the petshop round the corner, but one has to know the right people etc.
And a lot has changed in the last 1,5 years, many new species were imported / bred.

Yes, I also hope I can breed the orange shrimp. I selected them from N. zhangjiajiensis shrimp and put them in an extra tank. Currently it is only the 3 of them. At least 2 seem to be female.

I did not breed the yellow shrimp morph. Those I got were already that color. I have no idea if they are selected or collected from the wild.
Annako
Larva
Larva

Post by Annako »

the second picture, your yellow shrimp, very amazing as well are the Caridina serratiostris ! Your shrimp farm is like a wonderful dream! When I get my own house I will have a giant shrimp farm like you have! Very impressed with your shrimp!

Good luck with your lovely shrimp, especially with your new orange morph.

Oh, and Mustafa, good luck on re-establishing your "rootbeer" shrimp colony! Those are pretty crazy looking shrimp!
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

wow
what a nice collection.
very impressive.
Being in Germany does not necessarily mean you can buy all these shrimp. The rare species can often not just be bought in the petshop round the corner, but one has to know the right people etc.
And a lot has changed in the last 1,5 years, many new species were imported / bred.

Agree , but you will be agree with when i say europe and particulary geman and deutsh are far in advance in the shrimp hobby than north america.
i am not talking about knowledgement , we have great people on the two side of the atlantic.
but the shrimp hobby in general , availability, and interest etc.. in in advance there
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

If I knew about the shrimp hobby 1.5 years ago, I would have had the hubby extend his overseas assignment, and we would still be there. :wink:

Any who. I am going to have to save my dough and import some shrimp when it gets warmer. :-D
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

zwergkrebszuechter wrote:Being in Germany does not necessarily mean you can buy all these shrimp. The rare species can often not just be bought in the petshop round the corner, but one has to know the right people etc.

Yes, I also hope I can breed the orange shrimp. I selected them from N. zhangjiajiensis shrimp and put them in an extra tank. Currently it is only the 3 of them. At least 2 seem to be female.

I did not breed the yellow shrimp morph. Those I got were already that color. I have no idea if they are selected or collected from the wild.
I got one female of these. This is the only one i have at the moment. :(
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

If I knew about the shrimp hobby 1.5 years ago, I would have had the hubby extend his overseas assignment, and we would still be there. :wink:
That's the way to go, shrimp should take priority in order to advance and spread the hobby! Spring is just around the corner :D