luminescence of death shrimps

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Daudin
Larva
Larva

luminescence of death shrimps

Post by Daudin »

I bought 30 bee shrimps yesterday. Three animals died during adaptation to new contidions at night. I was very surprised, the death animals luminesced! Do anybody oberve the same thing?
Gregor Samsa Mendel
Larva
Larva

Post by Gregor Samsa Mendel »

Luminescence Disease

Early Macrobrachium larval stages are susceptible to vibriosis caused by Vibrio harveyi. This disease is very common in hatcheries of both freshwater and marine shrimps. The unique clinical sign of this disease is the luminescence of infected larvae which can be observed at night. Infected larvae also show fouling, opacity, swim slowly, aggregration and they ultimately die. Mortalities may reach 100%. In Thailand, luminescent bacteria are often observed in the sea or salt water farms. When this appears, there is almost complete failure of postlarval production at the hatchery. Treating the salt water with chlorine or formalin before use does not seem to be effective during such an incident. Sae-oui et al. (1987) tested antibiotic sensitivity of V. harveyi found in P. merguiensis and reported that the bacterium was sensitive to chloramphenicol and novobiocin but resistant to streptromycin. They also found that the bacteria were completely killed by treating with Ca(HOCl)2 at 20-30 ppm or formalin at 50 ppm.

Source:
http://www.fisheries.go.th/aahri/Health ... r/art6.htm
bulrush
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by bulrush »

Wow! Did they luminesce by themselves or under UV light?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It was by themselves due to the bacteria they were infected with.
Daudin
Larva
Larva

Post by Daudin »

bulrush wrote:Wow! Did they luminesce by themselves or under UV light?
They luminsced by themselves. Next two days another seven shrimps died, but I didn´t observe the same phenomenon.
Daudin
Larva
Larva

Post by Daudin »

Neonshrimp wrote:It was by themselves due to the bacteria they were infected with.
Can you write me literature source where is description of this phenomenon? Thanks.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Gregor Samsa Mendel gave us as source above which has reference to "Luminescence Disease". You can search more on this disease if still interested.

Source:
http://www.fisheries.go.th/aahri/Health ... r/art6.htm
Daudin
Larva
Larva

Post by Daudin »

Gregor Samsa Mendel reference is clear. I thought you know another reference concerned by adults nad genus Caridina/Neocaridina.