Comprehensive List of Animals!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Comprehensive List of Animals!

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hello All,

Here is a comprhensive list of animals (shrimp, crays, snails, crabs and more!). It is in german but with a little time you will figure out some of the information. However, the animals are listed by scientific names. The pictures are great and who knows, you might just learn a little bit of the german language :wink:

http://www.wirbellose.de/arten.html#Garnelen
Pea-brain
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pea-brain »

Time to break out your german-english dictionaries (Which, strangely, I have) and translation sites! :roll: :-D
Gregor Samsa Mendel
Larva
Larva

Post by Gregor Samsa Mendel »

From my very limited knowledge of German (I took about a semester's worth in college over 20 years ago!), according to this site, it seems that Neocaridina denticulata has been renamed Neocaridina heteropoda. Anyone else hear about this?
Janthina
Egg
Egg

Post by Janthina »

Interesting site!

The 'Indian zebra' shrimp is classified as a Caridina cf. babaulti on this site, same lumped species group as the green. Does anyone know if this is correct? Also, does anyone know the locality within India that these shrimp are coming from?

Cara
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I can show you plenty of sites with mis-information in english. Lots easier ways to get confused :-D
Last edited by badflash on Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zwergkrebszuechter
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by zwergkrebszuechter »

Yes there were some changes in names recently. We did not invent them, the scientists did do the changes.
N. denticula sinensis is now N. heteropoda and Cardina japonica is now C. multidentata.

Little is know about the babaulti group. The mentioned species all show the signs that make them babaulti if you look at the actual scientific species description. Look closely, there is a cf. before the names, which means similiar to. However these critters will probably be revised soon. I would not bet that they are all of the same species and do interbreed.

There is a lot of confusion in shrimp taxonomy but these are the latest valid names.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

There is a lot of confusion in shrimp taxonomy but these are the latest valid names.
Thank you for clearing that up. I agree that there is a lot of confusion but at least it is being worked on :-)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

New names are not really established until other scientists agree and start using them in their own publications. That's why I have not changed the scientific names in my list of shrimp yet. I'll give it some more time before making any changes.

By the way...that website has been known here already for a few years as I am one of the people who actually adds information and makes changes there. ;)