Just got some Tiger Shrimp!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

wood
<b>BANNED</b>

Just got some Tiger Shrimp!

Post by wood »

I have had RCS for a while so I decided to get another cool species to add to my 10 gallon RCS tank. I wanted to get CRS but they are everywhere and I wanted something more "rare" if you know what I mean. I just received 11 of them in the mail today and acclimated them for an hour.

I am always terrified every time I acclimate new shrimp because I am afraid that they will instantly die due to the water conditions I have in my 10 gallon. The filtration is excellent, no nitrates or ammonia, but I dose ferts (K2PO4 & Iron). I worry sometimes that the Iron could hurt the new Tigers. The RCS have been breeding very well and there are babies all over the place. I feed them homemade shrimp biscuits that someone sent me.

Well right when I introduced the Tigers, about 8 of them disappeared into the mass of plants I have and the other 3 started sifting through the sand. Is it normal for them to vanish? Are they just spooked? Basically I am terrified that they will not acclimate well and will disappear and die. Hopefully I am just being paranoid. In any event, wish me luck!

-Ryan

New pics posted 3.8.07

Last edited by wood on Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eklikewhoa
Egg
Egg

Post by eklikewhoa »

Where are you located?

I would like to get a hold of some myself.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

tiger and RCS dont have the same water requierement .....

PS:
eklikewhoa wrote:Where are you located?
Please read the rules of the forum, you will save lot of frustration.
IndianaSam
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by IndianaSam »

zapisto wrote:
I don't think that stating the city/region in which you bought the shrimp is against the rules. Anything further is certainly against the rules, however.

I would also like to know where wood is located since he refers to CRS as being "everywhere" and not rare. Where I live they're quite rare and low grade CRS go for, what I consider to be, a hefty amount.

Wood,
What are your water parameters like? GH, KH, etc?

Sam
wood
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by wood »

I live in Miami, Florida. What I meant by "CRS are everywhere" is that RCS and CRS seem to be the mainstream in shrimp keeping. The high grades are not hard for me to get a hold of, its just that they will always be around. Tigers on the other hand aren't as abundant in the hobby, that is why I chose them instead. The Tiger's are really cool, I am very happy I have them, just scared for their wellbeing.

As Mustafa has mentioned recently (Dark Green Shrimp Thread), the water parameters as far as ph and such really don't make a difference. My PH in my 10 gallon is very low, around 6.1-6.2, but the RCS have no problem breeding at all. I have no clue what my GH and KH is, never tested. I have an AquaClear 50 filter on my 10 gallon with Seachem Matrix, Purigen, and a Foam Pad. The filtration is excellent, the water is very clear. I am a really big believer in biological filtration.

I woke up this morning and saw 2 Tigers sifting through the sand with the baby cherries looking for food. I think they are healthy, one actually looks a little blue... They have golden tails and heads.

I decline to say where I got them, sorry. I know that it is against the forum rules to sell/buy on here. Personally I feel like we should have a swapnshop or something on here, but its not my forum, its Mustafa's :)

-Ryan
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

wood wrote:I live in Miami, Florida. What I meant by "CRS are everywhere" is that RCS and CRS seem to be the mainstream in shrimp keeping. The high grades are not hard for me to get a hold of, its just that they will always be around. Tigers on the other hand aren't as abundant in the hobby, that is why I chose them instead. The Tiger's are really cool, I am very happy I have them, just scared for their wellbeing.
Agree
i too start loving the tiger.
i breed them now and am very happy
wood wrote: As Mustafa has mentioned recently (Dark Green Shrimp Thread), the water parameters as far as ph and such really don't make a difference. My PH in my 10 gallon is very low, around 6.1-6.2, but the RCS have no problem breeding at all. I have no clue what my GH and KH is, never tested. I have an AquaClear 50 filter on my 10 gallon with Seachem Matrix, Purigen, and a Foam Pad. The filtration is excellent, the water is very clear. I am a really big believer in biological filtration.
this way (rcs in acidic) i am pretty sure it work.
but tiger in hard /alkalin water i am not sure at all.
wood wrote: I decline to say where I got them, sorry. I know that it is against the forum rules to sell/buy on here. Personally I feel like we should have a swapnshop or something on here, but its not my forum, its Mustafa's :)
-Ryan
i just want to warn , it is not my forum also ....
and i always get a bt sad when i see people get banned or something just because they did not follow or read rules...
but i am agree with you all the way , we should have something on , but as you say it is mustafa forum , i enjoy discuss on it so i follow the rule he put on, even if i am disagree or not fully agree with some , it is matter of respect to follow them , or go somewhere else.. simple for me
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Tigers on the other hand aren't as abundant in the hobby, that is why I chose them instead.
In my opinion, I think this is because the two types of shrimp should not be housed together due to ease of inbreeding. Therefore, most hobbyist have choosen to raise CRS instead. They could set up another tank to raise the tiger shrimp in, this is my plan, but that mean more space and effort.
I decline to say where I got them, sorry. I know that it is against the forum rules to sell/buy on here. Personally I feel like we should have a swapnshop or something on here, but its not my forum, its Mustafa's :)
Remember, if you do choose to discuss this information you can PM eachother.
eklikewhoa
Egg
Egg

Post by eklikewhoa »

zapisto wrote:tiger and RCS dont have the same water requierement .....

PS:
Thank you for the reminder but I only asked where he was located.
wood
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by wood »

I posted some new pics of them I took tonight in the original post..

-Ryan
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Very nice looking tiger and cherries Ryan. Thanks :D
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Very nice, I like *Borat accent* Cool shrimp wood. I know what you mean about CRS 'being everywhere' though they are not to be found locally in Miami, FL or most of the continental U.S. It appears that everyone in the hobby has them now and are buying from Japan. On the other hand shrimp such as Tigers are not a very common shrimp in the hobby though they are less expensive than the CRS. I would like some of these as well. Maybe in the future. It is cool if they can live in harmony with RCS. When I upgrade to a 10 gallon tank I may get some. Looking forward to updates! :-)
Kenshin
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Kenshin »

The pH you have them in is perfect Wood. I believe it will take several days for your Tiger shrimps to adjust to their new environment. I have the same type of filter as you have, so acclimating to their new environment should be a breeze.

I would try to decrease on dosing fertilizer though. Also, when you trim plants, try to do only a very small trimmings at one time and finish the rest of your trimmings at different time intervals. In addition, carry out 30% to 50% water change right after each time you trim your plants. That way you do not allow your ammonia to shoot up. Try to change the water for 2 to 3 days straight to avoid ammonia sudden spikes.

I am currently keeping Tiger shrimps with my Snowball shrimps and so far I am really enjoying them. They are less sensitive than higher grade CRS I am currently keeping. They breed like there is no tomorrow when they are happy (and carry more eggs compare to higher grade CRS) and they congregate together like it's their family reunion during their meal time once a day.
wood
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by wood »

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

The Tiger Shrimp are doing very well so far. My temp is 78F and the PH is around 6.2.

They are very active and definitely show up for feeding time. They are more aggressive at feeding time and definitely seem smarter than the RCS. For instance, when it is feeding time they will just rush the algae wafer, pushing the RCS out of the way, and grab a small piece for themselves. Then they will walk away with the piece and eat it by themselves. The RCS on the other hand will all pile on top of each other and fight for positioning.

Out of the 11 that I added, I have seen max 9 at a single time. Hopefully all are ok and the other 2 were just hiding in the dense vegetation. My tank is heavily planted so there is definitely the chance that they are hiding out. I have yet to see any Tiger bodies, but if one did die I am sure it would get eaten up real fast.

Kenshin- I only dose K2SO4, Kent Pro-Plant, and Iron. I never dose KNO3. I am willing to run the risk of dosing my tank along with having shrimp. So far I have had good results as the RCS have been breeding like crazy and there are babies everywhere. Also, the RCS and Tigers are my only tank inhabitants, along with the one-eyed Asian Filter Shrimp. I almost never see any shrimp poop on the sand, the snails eat it I have watched them do it. Sometimes the shrimp eat it too. One time I actually saw a RCS chase a Tiger, going after its poop hanging from its tail. It finally got a nice piece. OK thats gross. :) I have an over-sized filter and some excellent media in the filter for superb biological filtration. I am a very big believer in biological filtration for a shrimp tank.

-Ryan
rugie
Larva
Larva

Post by rugie »

Hi Ryan, What is this great media you refer to? thanks.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I almost never see any shrimp poop on the sand, the snails eat it I have watched them do it. Sometimes the shrimp eat it too. One time I actually saw a RCS chase a Tiger, going after its poop hanging from its tail. It finally got a nice piece. OK thats gross.
Nature has a way of providiing food to them in one form or another. The shrimp and snails seem to have a good symbiotic relationship :D