Vampire shrimp just in time for halloween!!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Aphyosemion
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Vampire shrimp just in time for halloween!!

Post by Aphyosemion »

Whoa, bugging your LFS sometimes really pays off! I am always asking my LFS what kind of shrimp he has (usually none) and when he is expecting to get some (usually he just shrugs). He finally put in an order not specifying what exactly he would get and told me to stop back in next week. Well, he got amano shrimp, singapore wood shrimp, and 2 VAMPIRE SHRIMP! I was like HOLY CRAP, gimmie both of those!
I have read about them and realize that they will need some special attention. I am planning on putting them into my 75 gallon planted tank, but what I didn't see on the descriptions page here is their water requirements. My tanks are all medium soft RO water, which worries me a little, because since this shrimp is african, I imagine it might be acustomed to hard water.
Anyone know if they require hard water and if so, if they would do okay in medium soft? Some fish and shrimp are more sensitive than others.
-Aphyosemion

Edit: I just checked the PH in my 75 gallon and it registered at 7.3. Then I checked the PH in the water from the petstore....what the...? It shows up at about 6.0!! Ack, gonna be a big change.
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Vampire shrimp just in time for halloween!!

Post by Pigheaddd »

Aphyosemion wrote:My tanks are all medium soft RO water, which worries me a little, because since this shrimp is african, I imagine it might be acustomed to hard water.
Anyone know if they require hard water and if so, if they would do okay in medium soft? Some fish and shrimp are more sensitive than others.
-Aphyosemion

Edit: I just checked the PH in my 75 gallon and it registered at 7.3. Then I checked the PH in the water from the petstore....what the...? It shows up at about 6.0!! Ack, gonna be a big change.
They will do just fine around pH 6.2. My LFS has pH around 7.6. My tank is pH 6.2~6.5 with kH around 3.

Happy Halloween!
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Hey Aphyosemion

Congratulations on your purchase! Enjoy them ... they are a n interesting addition to the tank ... :P
Aphyosemion
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Aphyosemion »

They seem to have survived the big PH change alright, but I am a little worried about them because I don't see them out and feeding. I add first bites food to the tank, but they just kinda hide in the back all the time. Hopefully, they will become a little braver before they starve.
-Aphyosemion