pregnant shrimp?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

wijnands
Larva
Larva

pregnant shrimp?

Post by wijnands »

Apologies for the lousy quality but she's been shy lately so I had to crop an iso1600 shot.

Anyway, am I correct in assuming this shrimp's pregnant?

Any tips? I'd rather not stress it out by setting it in a seperate tank.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Sure looks berried up to me. Nice!
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

Cool!

I've had 'm for almost 2 months now, this is the first time I've spotted this. Can hardly wait.
Hm.. does this mean that I'm doing something right and that they're happy? or is this a species that will breed no matter what?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

No, definetly means you are doing something right. These are difficult to breed.
starrystarstarr
Egg
Egg

Post by starrystarstarr »

congratulations :D
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Indeed congratulations, these guys only breed if the conditions are just right, hence their price (otherwise RCS wouldn't be so cheap :lol: ). You can clearly see the eggs in that picture though ;)
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

I've also spotter here fanning the eggs with those underbelly fins.

Should I put in a few more shells as extra hiding places?

Would it help if I feed the fish in the tank a lot around the time she'll be giving birth?
:D I'm a lot more excited by all this than I thought I would be,
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Get the fish out of there, they will eat the babies. Much better than any food you can provide them with. Lots of plants are the best hides.
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

I just don't have the option to provide a seperate tank. But my cambomba has really been growing hard the last two weeks. I'll just refrain from pruning that.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

That is too bad. What fish are in there?
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

Gold tetras, cardinal tetras and a single male guppy. (left over from the previous tank, favourite with the kids)
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I have a community fish tank which has a few red cherry shrimp coexisting with quite a few various small to medium fish. These shrimp were inadvertently transferred when moving some plants. Although my fish do not tend to eat the adults or larger juveniles, I almost never see any baby shrimp in that tank and I am positive that the fish are to blame for this. The population of shrimp has grown very very slowly since almost no babies ever make it to adult size. In addition, shrimp have no protection after molting and are probably consumed during those times too.

I'm not telling you this to say it is ok to keep shrimp with fish, but to warn you that your breeding success with these shrimp will suffer if you keep them with your fish. I am also lucky that my fish haven't decided to actively hunt the adult shrimp. If one ever did, the shrimp would soon be gone.
wijnands
Larva
Larva

Post by wijnands »

Well, these tetras are just about the most peaceful community tank dwellers I can think of.

I've put various bits and pieces in the tank that can provide shelter. I don't know if protection during molting is an issue or not, haven't been able to find out how often they do this.

Next week is queen's day over here which means, amonng other things, a giant flee market. I plan on seeing if I can't find a pump or heater for a decent price, I'm considering setting up a small tank for pregnant females.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

How about a tank divider for the pregnant shrimp? She wouldn't need a large space.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Although the odds are against it, I hope it works out. I would like to see pictures of your new baby shrimp :wink: