Shrimp ID please

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Jason L
Egg
Egg

Shrimp ID please

Post by Jason L »

I purchased these shrimp under the name "Blueberry Amano Shrimp" I had zero luck finding anything under that name. I have been keeping fish for 13 years, but this is my first time keeping invertebrates; so any tips or info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Sorry about the picture quality
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I REALLY get tired of these made-up names just used to market shrimp.
These are not amano shrimp in any shape or form, they are just algae eating shrimp. They are not even in the same genus. I recently rescued some albino P. Alleni crayfish from the LFS that had tags "Rice Lobster". Go figure.

Check http://www.petshrimp.com/neocaridinaspblue.html and scroll down until you see the ones with blue color. These shrimp appear to be fed some sort of food that makes them blue. The offspring are not blue.

BTW- Welcome to the forum. These are very cool shrimp. I think you'll enjoy them.
Jason L
Egg
Egg

Post by Jason L »

I was afraid of that. The seem to be quite healthy though, and have done a great job of cleaning the algae in my 10 gallon betta tank. I can easily see though the "marketable" fish names as I am more aware of them, but with any invertebrates I am clueless. Being that this is the same shop that had SAE's labeled as "Asian Flying Foxes", I am not surprised.

Thanks for your help,

Jay
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

You got lucky with the SAE's as they are a much better fish. They actually like algae, but they get too big.

I've never dealt with your shrimp, but my understanding is they are very much like red cherries and a very nice shrimp, blue or not.
Jason L
Egg
Egg

Post by Jason L »

I have the SAE's in my 75 gallon heavily planted tank. These shrimp are fun to watch, and I would love to add some to my larger tanks; but with angels and rams I am afraid they will become food. Kind of off topic, but is there are species of shrimp that will do well in my 75? pH 6.2, KH 20ppm and gh 40ppm. Other than the angels and rams, I have Columbian Tetras, Ancistrus spp. and SAE's.
pleco_breeder
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by pleco_breeder »

Not to sound sarcastic, but you'd probably have to either pull the angels and rams out, or get one of the monsters that would eat everything else in the tank.

Larry Vires
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

pleco_breeder wrote:Not to sound sarcastic, but you'd probably have to either pull the angels and rams out, or get one of the monsters that would eat everything else in the tank.

Larry Vires
Not sarcastic, just plain facts.
Jason L
Egg
Egg

Post by Jason L »

I am aware that smaller shrimp will be eaten and that there are species that will eat smaller inhabitants. I guess I was wondering if there was a medium sized invert that could be added. Question answered. I think I'll keep the Rams and Angels though...

Jay
justrick
Egg
Egg

Post by justrick »

My LFS here also had these labled as blue amano shrimps. As they are just now getting into fresh water invertebrates, they had these in the same tank as red cherries until I let him know that they were the same species and will hybridize if left in the same tank. To his credit, he seperated them into seperate tanks and put a disclaimer on the tanks that offspring of the red cherries and the blue shrimp that were berried might be hybrids because of their mistake.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Just a technical point. They are not the same species, but they can hybridize. They are both Neocaridina.
justrick
Egg
Egg

Post by justrick »

That is what I had meant to say, my bad. Thanks for the correction.
apistomaster
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by apistomaster »

Jason L wrote:I am aware that smaller shrimp will be eaten and that there are species that will eat smaller inhabitants. I guess I was wondering if there was a medium sized invert that could be added. Question answered. I think I'll keep the Rams and Angels though...

Jay
The Ghost Glass Shrimp seem to be able to handle most community tank fish although as far as the Angels go I don't know. I have kept them with half grown wild Peruvian Angels without any problems but not any adult domestic Angels. The Ghost glass are so cheap one could afford to experiment. ~$0.25/each is hard to beat.

The Bamboo Fan Shrimp are large for an aquarium shrimp and harmless to even small fish but to experiment wih them would cost more. Until recently I had 10 Colombian Tetras with four of them but I just moved the Tetras out to make more room for some new fish.