red shrimp with white stripe - ID?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

fett
Egg
Egg

red shrimp with white stripe - ID?

Post by fett »

Hi. I couldn't find this on the galleries. Anyone know what it is? I dont think its a filter feeder, but its very small and hard to tell.

pleco_breeder
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by pleco_breeder »

Hello,

Looks like a well colored cherry shrimp to me.

Larry Vires
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

It looks like an Indian Algea eating shrimp.

TKD
fett
Egg
Egg

Post by fett »

hmm..does kind of look like a cherry shrimp now that you mention it. The red doesnt have any speckles, like the picture on the site, but it does have the same body shape.
Thanks!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's not a red cherry shrimp. Without some close-ups it will hard to say what it might be. And even then...it might just not be anything identifiable.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

fett wrote:hmm..does kind of look like a cherry shrimp now that you mention it. The red doesnt have any speckles, like the picture on the site, but it does have the same body shape.
Thanks!
Because I have bought many RCS from various people over the past year-or-so, I can say that there are many various red colorations of the RCS. The pic Mustafa has is merely for reference.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

AnneRiceBowl wrote:
Because I have bought many RCS from various people over the past year-or-so, I can say that there are many various red colorations of the RCS. The pic Mustafa has is merely for reference.
It's still not a red cherry shrimp. It's probably one of the many indian/southeast asian shrimp species.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

The Shrimp Fett has pictured.
Looks very similar in body shape to Shrimp that I purchased from China.
The Common name that the seller gave them was Orange Flame.

I would have to agree with Mustafa.
That is no RCS.

John
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Mustafa wrote:
AnneRiceBowl wrote:
It's still not a red cherry shrimp. It's probably one of the many indian/southeast asian shrimp species.
Understood. I was just letting the poster know that there are other patterns of the RCS, not just the one you have pictured, Mustafa. I have seen RCS with a very similar coloration, but I am still no good at looking at the different body shapes. I leave that up to you more experienced shrimp keepers.
Leonard
Egg
Egg

Post by Leonard »

Caridina babaulti
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Leonard wrote:Caridina babaulti
NOT
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

I think that everyone here should say I don't know and leave it at that.

TKD
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Shrimp Identification is the biggest problem facing this young Hobby.
And with the increased interest, there is going to be more confussion as the Importers try to satisfy the demand for Shrimp by importing more and different species.

And when a picture of a Shrimp is posted in this Forum. And when most members have never seen this Shrimp before, And even fewer Members have access to Scientific papers that are more than likely incorrect.
The only answer to the posted question could be is.
Caridina sp. or Neocaridina sp.

As Mustafa stated
Without some close-ups it will hard to say what it might be. And even then...it might just not be anything identifiable.
And until these unidentifiable Shrimp are more common in the Hobby. And a common name can be given to them,
Like Caridian sp. Orange Flame.
There will be alot of frustration and confusion.

So, until Mustafa organizes the US Shrimp Association and common/scientific names can be given and reconized in the Hobby. There will be confusion in this Hobby as to the names of some Shrimp.

Just my thoughts
John
Anatony25
Egg
Egg

Post by Anatony25 »

i breeding cherry shrimps more then 5 years. when i bought my first 10 cherry is normal red, after 3 years, i start to found some cherry had this white line. I didn't add any new cherry, now i had more then 500 cherry.

this shrimps is cherry shrimps.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Anatony25 wrote:i breeding cherry shrimps more then 5 years.
Interesting how you have been breeding red cherries for "over 5 years" when red cherries only came on the scene in 2003, which is exactly 4 years ago. There were no red cherry shrimp in the hobby before that. Unless you're the guy who developed the red mutation (red cherries), you're obviously full of it. (excuse my "french") :roll:
when i bought my first 10 cherry is normal red, after 3 years, i start to found some cherry had this white line.

Ahhh...so you *bought* your shrimp, hence you can't have developed them. It took you 3 years to finally see the shrimp with the stripes? With most people it takes just a few days....maybe a few weeks to discover them. The shrimp with the stripes are just as "normal" as the shrimp without the stripes. The stripes occur on the the wild form, too, and the same shrimp can sometimes have a stripe and sometimes not. They don't usually hide their stripe for 3 years.
I didn't add any new cherry, now i had more then 500 cherry.
Wow...supposedly breeding over 5 years and you "proudly" proclaim that you have 500 shrimp? What are you trying to say? Is this another "expert qualification" that is preparing us for the next statement?
this shrimps is cherry shrimps.
So, all the "qualifications" above ("breeding red cherries over five years") was preparing us for this statement? :roll: I don't know what part of "this is not a red cherry shrimp" you don't get. At this point I'm not even just throwing an "educated opinion" out there anymore but this is a fact....it's NOT a red cherry shrimp.

Beginners in the hobby seem to think that just because they have red cherry shrimp with stripes that all shrimp with stripes (and colors resembling red) have to be red cherries. Once and *if* you get more experience with other shrimp you might actually see the differences in body shape, rostrum shape, color and even stripe-shape, stripe-color, stripe-width and stripe-intensity and even antennae shape and length. Until then, unfortunately, everything will look like a red cherry shrimp to you...because that's the only shrimp you really know....if you actually even have this shrimp (see above for my comment on the "breeding over 5 years statement.").

In the meantime, it might not be a bad idea to actually listen to people who have experience with many different species and learn from the forum by doing some research.

The worst thing we can do to the hobby right now is to disseminate "pseudo-expert" opinions as facts ("this is a red cherry shrimp"). Just follow the advice of the posters above and just say (or rather think): "I don't know for sure what this shrimp is" and leave it at that.