Molting

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

OhNo123
Egg
Egg

Molting

Post by OhNo123 »

Do shrimps commonly molt parts of the body rather than the whole at once? I have Ghost Shrimp in a newly set up 10g. It appears that a shrimp has just molted and part of the back just landed into the gravel. There are no dead shrimp in site. Should I leave the shell in the tank or take it out?
OhNo123
Egg
Egg

Post by OhNo123 »

It seems as if the shell disappeared. I tried to find it with a net, but did not find anything. Would the Ghost Shrimp eat it?
Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Suzie Q »

My GS seem to molt in pieces also...the upper body in one spot, and the tail in another. I always leave the exo in the tank. I have seen them pick at it, and the snails eat it. Supposed to be a source of calcium for them. The rest of the exo may be under something...I have had one hidden in the plants.
OhNo123
Egg
Egg

Post by OhNo123 »

I saw it land, but when I was looking for it, it wasn't there. So could there be a possiblity that they ate it?
Suzie Q
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Suzie Q »

OhNo123 wrote:I saw it land, but when I was looking for it, it wasn't there. So could there be a possiblity that they ate it?
If you did see it, and it is now gone, then I would say yes they did eat it. Mine eat theirs. Hope this helps.
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

OhNo123 wrote:I saw it land, but when I was looking for it, it wasn't there. So could there be a possiblity that they ate it?
You asked this question twice on one thread but a little searching would have found this post:

viewtopic.php?t=1627&highlight=moult

You really need to start to understand this isn't like other forums where members expect other members to do their research for them.
OhNo123
Egg
Egg

Post by OhNo123 »

I did research, but did not find anything of whether to keep it or not. Sorry I did not research enough. Thanks for informing me.